all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: set-frame-size doesn't work in Emacs 23.2 ?
       [not found] <ec231221-5ca1-4da4-9475-b94689a8854f@x25g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-08-18 20:27 ` Android Eve
From: Android Eve @ 2010-08-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 18, 1:42 pm, Android Eve <androi...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Why?

The mystery is now even greater since I managed to make (set-frame-
size     (selected-frame)  96 72) work in .emacs -- here is how:

Originally, these two lines were conditioned upon the window system:

  (cond
   ((eq window-system 'w32)
    (progn
        (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 120  0)
        (set-frame-size     (selected-frame)  96 88)
      )))

So, I just moved these two lines above the condition and mysteriously
they started working!

Why "mysteriously"? Because there are other statements inside that (eq
window-system 'w32) that work flawlessly. If I invoke M-x describe-
variable window-system , it returns the value w32.

So why is this odd behavior of Emacs 23.2?

* Re: set-frame-size doesn't work in Emacs 23.2 ?
@ 2010-08-19  7:33   ` Marc Mientki
From: Marc Mientki @ 2010-08-19  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.08.2010 22:27, schrieb Android Eve:
> On Aug 18, 1:42 pm, Android Eve<androi...@gmx.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Why?
>>

> The mystery is now even greater since I managed to make (set-frame-
> size     (selected-frame)  96 72) work in .emacs -- here is how:
>
> Originally, these two lines were conditioned upon the window system:
>
>    (cond
>     ((eq window-system 'w32)
>      (progn
>          (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 120  0)
>          (set-frame-size     (selected-frame)  96 88)
>        )))
>
> So, I just moved these two lines above the condition and mysteriously
> they started working!
>
> Why "mysteriously"? Because there are other statements inside that (eq
> window-system 'w32) that work flawlessly. If I invoke M-x describe-
> variable window-system , it returns the value w32.
>
> So why is this odd behavior of Emacs 23.2?

This is not mystery. Your cond works properly but you have something
in your .emacs that restore after it frame geometry (maybe
frame-restore?). Put this cond at the end in .emacs and you will see
that this works.

But another question: why use you progn in cond? This is superfluous at
this point.

regards
Marc