On 03/30/2016 02:30 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >> And zero years of experience with anything not statically linked into >> Emacs core. > > Actually not exactly since we've used dynamic linking on the Windows > side for a few years now. > > But I see no reason to expect any special issues showing up because of > it in any case: none of the Lisp_Object low-level twiddling we do seems > to depend in any way on whether code is linked statically or dynamically. > >>> The other scheme originally implemented was terribly inefficient >> No it wasn't. It's one additional pointer dereference. > > I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the cost of > allocating/freeing those boxes to which you point. That's cheap: you can do it with linear allocation out of an array. Why would that be expensive?