On 03/09/2016 12:53 PM, John Wiegley wrote: >>>>>> Eli Zaretskii writes: > >> I concur that the current C mode is much slower than it was several releases >> ago. My personal subjective impression is that it gets slower with every new >> release, and I suspect that the main reason is our desire to support more >> and more C quirks and subtleties. If this is true, I'd be glad to go back to >> a simpler C mode, which sometimes mis-fontified or even (gasp!) mis-indented >> an occasional rare construct, but to get back the speed we enjoyed in the >> past. > > I entirely agree, Eli. > As someone who regularly works with C++ code written by people who want to use every new language construct that comes along, cc-mode is already barely usable from a correctness perspective. I find cc-mode's performance adequate. Simplifying cc-mode further would make it and Emacs much less useful for me.