On 02/05/2016 05:25 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > FWIW, I much prefer keeping just the loop, over using this "if+memset" > which seems like an obvious case or too-early-optimization. Fair enough, I didn't measure it and you're probably right that it's not worth the complexity. I changed it to use just the loop, with the attached patch. This patch's commit message documents what I had *originally* put in there in my private copy, something that I fondly hope would have made the hair on the back of your neck stand up.