Amusingly, the tagline for Emacs Starter Kit is “Because the Emacs defaults are not so great sometimes.” On 02/03/2016 11:46 AM, Clément Pit--Claudel wrote: > On 02/03/2016 11:24 AM, Drew Adams wrote: >> Thinking first about defaults or DWIM is wrong, IMO. We >> should think first about how users can change the behavior, >> including on the fly. > > I don't agree. This leads to Emacs being painful to use without large amounts of customization. Do many Emacs devs use an empty or almost empty .emacs? > Customizability is a strength, but the popularity of pre-packaged Emacs configurations (prelude, Emacs starter kit, Graphene, and countless .emacs.d repositories) says something about good defaults. > > Clément. >