On 02/03/2016 11:24 AM, Drew Adams wrote: > Thinking first about defaults or DWIM is wrong, IMO. We > should think first about how users can change the behavior, > including on the fly. I don't agree. This leads to Emacs being painful to use without large amounts of customization. Do many Emacs devs use an empty or almost empty .emacs? Customizability is a strength, but the popularity of pre-packaged Emacs configurations (prelude, Emacs starter kit, Graphene, and countless .emacs.d repositories) says something about good defaults. Clément.