all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About git commits
@ 2016-01-30 10:21 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-01-30 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi guys,

I'm preparing the pretest, and there are quite a few git commit messages
that refer to files without their path, I fixed like 50 of them last
week already, but there are more entries to be fixed.

For instance, instead of writing:

    * xterm.c: ...

Please  write:

    * src/xterm.c: ...

If you are using Magit, pressing "C" in the diff buffer on a file will
insert it correctly, and I believe that VC has something similar.

Else I have to go through all of these commits and fix the ChangeLog
entries by hand.

Thanks,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: About git commits
@ 2016-01-31 19:57 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2016-01-31 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm preparing the pretest, and there are quite a few git commit messages
> that refer to files without their path, I fixed like 50 of them last
> week already, but there are more entries to be fixed.

Isn't that going to screw up everybody's history?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/

* Re: About git commits
@ 2016-01-31 20:04   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-31 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wohler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 11:57:14 -0800
>
> Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm preparing the pretest, and there are quite a few git commit messages
> > that refer to files without their path, I fixed like 50 of them last
> > week already, but there are more entries to be fixed.
>
> Isn't that going to screw up everybody's history?

How can it screw up history?  History is immutable.

* Re: About git commits
@ 2016-01-31 20:49     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2016-01-31 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> > Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 11:57:14 -0800
> >
> > Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I'm preparing the pretest, and there are quite a few git commit messages
> > > that refer to files without their path, I fixed like 50 of them last
> > > week already, but there are more entries to be fixed.
> >
> > Isn't that going to screw up everybody's history?
>
> How can it screw up history?  History is immutable.

No, it is not.

Log messages are fixed using git rebase -i, which rewrites all of the
commits from the changed commit to HEAD.

See https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Rewriting-History

See also the section RECOVERING FROM UPSTREAM REBASE in the git rebase
man page. If Nicolas used rebase on commits that had already been
pushed, all of us will likely have to follow these instructions, or
clone a new repository if we can.

--

@ 2016-01-31 21:28       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2016-01-31 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 01/31/2016 11:49 PM, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Log messages are fixed using git rebase -i, which rewrites all of the
> commits from the changed commit to HEAD.

Not in the Emacs repository. You should read CONTRIBUTE.

* Re: About git commits
@ 2016-01-31 23:03         ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2016-01-31 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 01/31/2016 11:49 PM, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
>> Log messages are fixed using git rebase -i, which rewrites all of the
>> commits from the changed commit to HEAD.
>
> Not in the Emacs repository. You should read CONTRIBUTE.

I have. I don't see anything regarding changing commit messages or
rebasing. Can you please point it out?

Also, it would help clarify things if Nicolas described exactly how he
fixed the commit messages. I'm assuming he used rebase on existing
messages in the repository.

p.s. to Eli: If the repository has receive.denyNonFastforwards and
receive.denyDeletes set to true, then your comment about our history
being immutable should be largely accurate and welcome. However, can't a
user still use git push -f to override those settings?

--

@ 2016-02-01  3:07           ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2016-02-01  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wohler; +Cc: Emacs-devel

Hi Bill,

Nicolas didn't fix the Git commit messages.  He only fixed the ChangeLog
entries.

Here's an example:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=5152b211e81f969ac7cf31e7be6564a8be3299c5

* Re: About git commits
@ 2016-02-01  3:40           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-01  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wohler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 15:03:23 -0800
>
> Also, it would help clarify things if Nicolas described exactly how he
> fixed the commit messages. I'm assuming he used rebase on existing
> messages in the repository.

No, he modified the ChangeLog file generated from Git log.

> p.s. to Eli: If the repository has receive.denyNonFastforwards and
> receive.denyDeletes set to true, then your comment about our history
> being immutable should be largely accurate and welcome.

That's what Savannah does, yes.

> However, can't a user still use git push -f to override those
> settings?

No.  Savannah rejects non-FF pushes, AFAIK.

* Re: About git commits
@ 2016-02-01  5:15             ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2016-02-01  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> > Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 15:03:23 -0800
> >
> > Also, it would help clarify things if Nicolas described exactly how he
> > fixed the commit messages. I'm assuming he used rebase on existing
> > messages in the repository.
>
> No, he modified the ChangeLog file generated from Git log.

OK, cool.

> > p.s. to Eli: If the repository has receive.denyNonFastforwards and
> > receive.denyDeletes set to true, then your comment about our history
> > being immutable should be largely accurate and welcome.
>
> That's what Savannah does, yes.
>
> > However, can't a user still use git push -f to override those
> > settings?
>
> No.  Savannah rejects non-FF pushes, AFAIK.

Additional protection through a hook I'll bet. Good.

Thanks for the clarifications.