all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* useless variable handle_user_signal_hook?
@ 2016-01-20 22:19 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-01-20 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

The attached patch (recently added to emacs-25) introduced a C variable
handle_user_signal_hook that is useless because it is always null.
Although the variable can be optimized away by link-time optimization,
typically it is not optimized away.

Are you intending to add further patches to emacs-25 that need this
variable, before Emacs 25 is released? If not, how about if we remove
this variable for now? We can always add it back again later, when it's
needed.

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Add-handle_user_signal_hook.patch --]
[-- Type: application/x-patch, Size: 1467 bytes --]

* Re: useless variable handle_user_signal_hook?
@ 2016-01-21  0:43 ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2016-01-21  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> The attached patch (recently added to emacs-25) introduced a C
> variable handle_user_signal_hook that is useless because it is
> always null.  Although the variable can be optimized away by
> link-time optimization, typically it is not optimized away.

> Are you intending to add further patches to emacs-25 that need this
> variable, before Emacs 25 is released? If not, how about if we
> remove this variable for now? We can always add it back again later,
> when it's needed.

Feel free to remove it.  It is currently only necessary for the Mac
port.  (Of course, it might be useful if the `select' emulation in
another port wants to get notified when a user signal has arrived.)

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp