On 01/18/2016 01:13 PM, John Wiegley wrote: >>>>>> Eli Zaretskii writes: > >>> master should become emacs-26 at some point in the future, once it's ready, >>> while emacs-25 should only continue to improve and stabilize the 25.x >>> series. > >> Are you changing your mind? ;-) You told me something different in >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01372.html. > > Yes, I suppose I am. > > 'master' should be a place where people can commit API-breaking changes once > they are ready for general consumption; otherwise, such changes would have to > live in feature branches for a very long time, and we'd have little ability to > test them in combination. > > However, changes of that magnitude shouldn't happen between 25.1 and 25.2; > that's not what a minor release means to me. When things really start > changing, we should think of them as going into the next major release. > > Therefore, the emacs-25 branch will stabilize over time until there's nothing > more to do there. Although many will abandon the branch altogether in favor of > master at some point, there might still be some who wish to fix bugs there and > call for a point release. > > I imagine this will lead to more frequent major releases, and fewer point > releases, but that really depends on what we're doing. The more bug work we > do, the more point releases; the more feature work, the more major releases. > > I'm not sure that I'm calling for anything radically different than what has > happened before, though. Are you saying that in the past, what is now master > would become 25.2? What then of features that are destined for 26 and not > future versions of 25.x? > >> You seem to be talking about something that never happened before in Emacs: >> we never left any branch "for maintenance", we left it for good. Once the >> decision was made that the next release will be from master, the branch was >> abandoned, and never revisited except in emergency (e.g., if some >> super-critical bug was reported in the last release that required an urgent >> fix). > > Yes, I may be talking about something that never happened before in Emacs, but > it's been valuable on other projects, so I thought we might try it here as > well. > > That said, if a shift to master means no one ever fixes another bug on > emacs-25, then there will be effectively no change; but the branch can still > hang around for a while, and be available for point releases if necessary. > I'd be happy with switching to a less-like release scheme and incrementing a single number. Do minor releases even make sense anymore?