On 12/20/2015 08:06 PM, Rich Felker wrote: > On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 10:37:24PM -0500, Ken Brown wrote: >> On 12/20/2015 5:33 PM, Paul Eggert wrote: >>> While thinking over this patch I'd like to propose what should be a >>> simpler approach. This new proposal is more radical, and so should not >>> be applied to the emacs-25 branch, but it should make the port to musl >>> etc. automatic. >>> >>> The simpler approach is to remove gmalloc.c, and to use the system >>> memory allocator, i.e., to behave as if SYSTEM_MALLOC is defined on all >>> platforms. >>> >>> We can still support hybrid malloc for Cygwin, if SYSTEM_MALLOC wouldn't >>> work on Cygwin for some reason; and we can support the similar hybrid on >>> Darwin, if it's still needed. >> >> SYSTEM_MALLOC doesn't work on Cygwin, largely because Cygwin's >> malloc doesn't support malloc_set_state and malloc_get_state. There >> may be other problems too. (It's been a while since I tried it.) > > I don't see how this is possible; malloc_[gs]et_state do not exist on > other systems either. Presumably this is some hack needed for the > dumper, which wouldn't be needed if malloc weren't used pre-dumping. We really shouldn't be dumping the native heap at all, really. Eventually, Emacs should be a position-independent executable (as should every other program), and to unexec a PIE, we need to emit relocations, and to emit relocations, we need to know where all the pointers are. We can't do that if the internal heap structure is opaque to us.