all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Debian 5.0 Emacs package missing undo and strange behavior.
@ 2009-04-16 20:26 budu
From: budu @ 2009-04-16 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I was just configuring a new server at my job and was tired of
using vi or nano ;-), so I decided to install Emacs. While trying to
set up a basic .emacs file, a very strange problem happened. First,
the C-/ shortcut for undo doesn't work, but then I don't know how to
put it back. I've tried (global-set-key [C-slash] 'undo) and (global-
set-key "\C-/" 'undo), both doesn't work.

The weird thing is, when evaluating the incorrect global-set-key
above, the debugger show up as usual, but then, all the text after the
cursor disappear, like if it were erased. Still it isn't when
reopening the file! Maybe it got to do with screen. What do you think?

BTW, can someone point me to some documentation about how defining
keyboard shortcuts works, there's many syntax available and I'm always
confused each time I mess with them. I've searched for it for quite
some time, yet never found anything comprehensive.

Thanks

- budu

* Re: Debian 5.0 Emacs package missing undo and strange behavior.
@ 2009-04-17  3:20 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.5525.1239973690.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-04-17  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

budu wrote:
> Hi, I was just configuring a new server at my job and was tired of
> using vi or nano ;-), so I decided to install Emacs. While trying to
> set up a basic .emacs file, a very strange problem happened. First,
> the C-/ shortcut for undo doesn't work, but then I don't know how to
> put it back. I've tried (global-set-key [C-slash] 'undo) and (global-
> set-key "\C-/" 'undo), both doesn't work.
>
> The weird thing is, when evaluating the incorrect global-set-key
> above, the debugger show up as usual, but then, all the text after the
> cursor disappear, like if it were erased. Still it isn't when
> reopening the file! Maybe it got to do with screen. What do you think?
>
> BTW, can someone point me to some documentation about how defining
> keyboard shortcuts works, there's many syntax available and I'm always
> confused each time I mess with them. I've searched for it for quite
> some time, yet never found anything comprehensive.
>
> Thanks
>
> - budu

Here's some info:

http://www.nongnu.org/emacs-tiny-tools/keybindings/index-body.html

Does C-_ work as undo?

should work. C-/ = hold down Control key and press slash

Ed

* Re: Debian 5.0 Emacs package missing undo and strange behavior.
@ 2009-04-17 13:07 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <mailman.5525.1239973690.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-04-17 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: budu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

budu <nbuduroi@gmail.com> wrote:

> The weird thing is, when evaluating the incorrect global-set-key
> above, the debugger show up as usual, but then, all the text after the
> cursor disappear, like if it were erased. Still it isn't when
> reopening the file! Maybe it got to do with screen. What do you think?

You probably have `debug-on-error' set.  In that case Emacs doesn't
immediately unwind the stack when an error occurs.  That can leave the
buffer half-drawn.

If you press q in the backtrace buffer, or M-x top-level, you should
return.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Debian 5.0 Emacs package missing undo and strange behavior.
@ 2009-04-17 13:32   ` budu
From: budu @ 2009-04-17 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Does C-_ work as undo?

yes

That doesn't seems to work either. I can input M-/, but not C-/, it
doesn't seems to even capture the key at all. Looking for the culprit,
I think it's rxvt fault after all!

@ 2009-04-17 13:33   ` budu
From: budu @ 2009-04-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 17, 9:07 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> budu <nbudu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The weird thing is, when evaluating the incorrect global-set-key
> > above, the debugger show up as usual, but then, all the text after the
> > cursor disappear, like if it were erased. Still it isn't when
> > reopening the file! Maybe it got to do with screen. What do you think?
>
> You probably have `debug-on-error' set.  In that case Emacs doesn't
> immediately unwind the stack when an error occurs.  That can leave the
> buffer half-drawn.
>
> If you press q in the backtrace buffer, or M-x top-level, you should
> return.
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

I didn't know about that one, thanks.