Hi Glenn thanks for your quick reply. I see what you mean, the append is further down and I was looking at the code following this comment where it says 'append' (line 3 below) and then uses cons (line 6). On the other hand being a new user, I NEED to read the manual whereas I'm guessing you don't. :) cheers Gary (cond ;; check to see whether filename ends in `.el' ;; and if so, append its name to a list. ((equal ".el" (substring (car (car current-directory-list)) -3)) (setq el-files-list (cons (car (car current-directory-list)) el-files-list))) ;; check whether filename is that of a directory ((eq t (car (cdr (car current-directory-list)))) ;; decide whether to skip or recurse On 30/09/15 00:44, Glenn Morris wrote: > Gary wrote: > >> The info section Recursive Pattern: _accumulate_ states: >> >> 'This is very like the 'every' pattern using 'cons', except that >> 'cons' is not used, but some other combiner.' >> >> The example link 'Making a List of Files' uses cons to accumulate a list >> of files. > The recursive function call (which is what the section "Recursive > Patterns" is about) in files-in-below-directory uses "append", not cons. > cons happens to be used elsewhere in the function. It says right before > the files-in-below-directory definition that it uses "append". > So personally speaking I don't find it confusing. >