all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#10982: documentation bug eval-after-load
@ 2012-03-09 17:33 Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2012-03-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10982

Hi on this page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Hooks-for-Loading.html#Hooks-for-Loading

> library can also be a feature (i.e. a symbol), in which case form is
evaluated when (provide library) is called.

Then on this page
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Named-Features.html

> This function announces that feature is now loaded, or being loaded, into
the current Emacs session. This means that the facilities associated with
feature are or will be available for other Lisp programs.

So two issue come up:  should symbol even be supported by `eval-after-load`
if the feature might not be finished loading?  If it has to be kept for
backward compatibility, documentation should explicitly say don't use
symbol because the feature might not be finished loading.

--
Le

* bug#10982: documentation bug eval-after-load
@ 2012-03-09 17:40 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: 10982

Le Wang wrote:

> So two issue come up:  should symbol even be supported by `eval-after-load`
> if the feature might not be finished loading?  If it has to be kept for
> backward compatibility, documentation should explicitly say don't use
> symbol because the feature might not be finished loading.

The version of eval-after-load in the trunk handles this better, so that
even if provide is not at the end of the file, the eval-after-load forms
do not run until the file has finished loading.

What is the second issue?

* bug#10982: documentation bug eval-after-load
@ 2012-03-09 18:01   ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2012-03-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 10982