all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cal-tex printing still not working on letter paper
@ 2007-05-21 13:11 Alan
From: Alan @ 2007-05-21 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have found posts about a problem printing latex calendars dating a
few years back, with a fix (setq tex-dvi-print-command "dvips -t
letter").  That fix doesn't work for me.  I had fixed this problem a
few months ago, and new having installed a new cvs (23.0.0) version,
and new copies of older versions, the fix is lost.

Also, my printer (Brother HL1440) doesn't seem to exit gracefully from
whatever the new output is doing, and has to be reset each time I
print a calendar.

Has someone figured this out?  The older posts indicated that at that
time the cal-tex package had been targeted to older versions of
LaTeX.  The version I have been trying to work with has a header
"documentclass...", however, and seems perhaps to be more up to date.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Alan Davis

* Re: cal-tex printing still not working on letter paper
@ 2007-05-21 20:52 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-21 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.05.2007 um 15:11 schrieb Alan:

> I have found posts about a problem printing latex calendars dating a
> few years back, with a fix (setq tex-dvi-print-command "dvips -t
> letter").  That fix doesn't work for me.  I had fixed this problem a
> few months ago, and new having installed a new cvs (23.0.0) version,
> and new copies of older versions, the fix is lost.

Or not! The variable is defined in textmodes/tex-mode.el. I think
earlier versions of AUCTeX used to use it, could be it now has no
meaning for AUCTeX. How did you convert the (La)TeX output from
calendar to something else? And what is this 'something else?'

> Also, my printer (Brother HL1440) doesn't seem to exit gracefully from
> whatever the new output is doing, and has to be reset each time I
> print a calendar.

That can have many causes. Can you save or spool only the dvips
output and send it together with ehandler.ps to your printer?
Ehandler.ps has a PostScript error handler that should write on the
paper so useful (cryptic) information.

> Has someone figured this out?  The older posts indicated that at that
> time the cal-tex package had been targeted to older versions of
> LaTeX.  The version I have been trying to work with has a header
> "documentclass...", however, and seems perhaps to be more up to date.

It is now basically LaTeX with a lot of plain TeX. It is missing the
use of basic packages like geometry that could set the right paper
size (in specials for pdfTeX, (x)dvipdfm(x), dvips, ...), or lscape
to *really* switch to landscape. And it is missing every support for
non-US ASCII characters ([utf8]{inputenc) – at least my day and month
names, holidays, appointments, or diary entries are in a few European
languages ...

--
Greetings
                                  <]