all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where can I find some documents about the architecture of emacs?
@ 2015-08-24 12:17 Navy Cheng
From: Navy Cheng @ 2015-08-24 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs and want to find the
elisp interpretor part of emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but I
don't know which file/files is about the interpretor.

I find that many of the documents in the source tree is about *how to use
emacs* other than *the architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs I want?

* Where can I find some documents about the architecture of emacs?
@ 2015-08-24 15:17 Navy Cheng
From: Navy Cheng @ 2015-08-24 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs and want to find the
elisp interpretor part of emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but I
don't know which file/files is about the interpretor.

I find that many of the documents in the source tree is about *how to use
emacs* other than *the architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs I want?

* Re: Where can I find some documents about the architecture of emacs?
@ 2015-08-24 16:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.8.1440433896.28410.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:17:57 +0800
> From: Navy Cheng <navych@126.com>
>
> Hi, I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs and want to find the
> elisp interpretor part of emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but I
> don't know which file/files is about the interpretor.

All of the C files are parts of the interpreter: they all implement
primitive functions exposed by the interpreter to Lisp.

If you are looking for the core parts of the interpreter, then look at
data.c, eval.c, bytecode.c, and lread.c.  Perhaps also print.c.

> I find that many of the documents in the source tree is about *how to use
> emacs* other than *the architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs I want?

Not really, no.

@ 2015-08-24 18:44   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-08-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:17:57 +0800
>> From: Navy Cheng <navych@126.com>
>>
>> Hi, I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs and want to find the
>> elisp interpretor part of emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but I
>> don't know which file/files is about the interpretor.
>
> All of the C files are parts of the interpreter: they all implement
> primitive functions exposed by the interpreter to Lisp.
>
> If you are looking for the core parts of the interpreter, then look at
> data.c, eval.c, bytecode.c, and lread.c.  Perhaps also print.c.

Alternatively or additionnaly, you might want to have a look at the byte
compiler and virtual machine.

@ 2015-08-24 20:23 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-24 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Navy Cheng <navych@126.com> writes:

> I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs
> and want to find the elisp interpretor part of
> emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but
> I don't know which file/files is about
> the interpretor.
>
> I find that many of the documents in the source tree
> is about *how to use emacs* other than *the
> architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs I want?

First there is C, then there is Lisp. The C is an
ordinary compiled binary.

In Emacs, there is a kernel "process" that runs all
the time. When you don't do anything, the idle-timer
executes stuff that needs to be done, for example font
locking (or "syntax highlighting"). So Emacs is an OS
tho not a POSIX style OS (e.g., Unix, Linux).

Those OSs (the Unixes) are preemptive where processes
compete for CPU time - the kernel is basically
a scheduler - based on process metadata, e.g., an
integer to express priority, the scheduler controls
what process should gain access to computer resources,
including the very CPU for execution.

In Emacs there is no such competition as stuff gets
done when the user don't do anything - *idle*-timer,
remember? But, doesn't that mean you can stall the
whole thing by just doing stuff all the time? Yes!
But this odd form of stalling doesn't happen
in practice.

Because of the lack of competition (and preemption in
particular), the Emacs architecture is sometimes
called collaborative, which is a good word.
(Contrary to what some people think, collaborating
does not imply the people doing it being
soft-spoken aristocrats.)

There are people on this list that can tell you more,
but it is a start.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Where can I find some documents about the architecture of emacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-08-25 15:15 ` Aurélien Aptel
       [not found]   ` <mailman.92.1440533158.28410.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2015-08-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Navy Cheng; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Navy Cheng <navych@126.com> wrote:
> Hi, I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs and want to find the
> elisp interpretor part of emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but I
> don't know which file/files is about the interpretor.
>
> I find that many of the documents in the source tree is about *how to use
> emacs* other than *the architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs I want?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HackerGuide

Feel free to contribute!

* Re: Where can I find some documents about the architecture of emacs?
@ 2015-08-25 20:13   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.92.1440533158.28410.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-25 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com>
writes:

>> I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs
>> and want to find the elisp interpretor part of
>> emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but
>> I don't know which file/files is about the
>> interpretor. I find that many of the documents in
>> the source tree is about *how to use emacs* other
>> than *the architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs
>> I want?
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HackerGuide
>
> Feel free to contribute!

It doesn't say anything of what I said so either I'm
wrong or no one bothered to add it.

--

@ 2015-08-26  1:47     ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-08-26  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>>> I want to learn something about the desgin of emacs
>>> and want to find the elisp interpretor part of
>>> emacs. Now, I know the C part is in ./src, but
>>> I don't know which file/files is about the
>>> interpretor. I find that many of the documents in
>>> the source tree is about *how to use emacs* other
>>> than *the architecture of emacs*. Is there any docs
>>> I want?
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HackerGuide
>>
>> Feel free to contribute!
>
> It doesn't say anything of what I said so either I'm
> wrong or no one bothered to add it.

It's the Emacs wiki.
Add it yourself.

Even I have a couple of things there.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Where can I find some documents about the architecture of emacs?
@ 2015-09-02 22:03       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-02 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>> It doesn't say anything of what I said so either
>> I'm wrong or no one bothered to add it.
>
> It's the Emacs wiki. Add it yourself.
>
> Even I have a couple of things there.

"Even" you? :)

In this particular case, I'm only repeating what other
people have told me and what I've read in textbooks.
I was never closer to it than that so someone else can
write a better article, for sure.

As for adding stuff to the Emacs Wiki in general,
I never mastered the Wiki form, but I have all my
Elisp available, and some of it is useful! - so if
anyone feels and acts strongly for the Emacs Wiki,
feel free to add whatever, and however, from:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs.html