On 06/15/2015 09:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 14:22:37 +0000 >> From: Alan Mackenzie >> >> My view is that the curly quotes should not replace 0x60 and 0x27 in our >> sources, but that the option to display them as curly quotes should be >> made available to those that want it. >> >> As far as I am aware, there has been no poll to gather and analyse the >> views of Emacs developers on these changes, much less one for Emacs >> users. This is a Bad Thing. >> >> What do people think? > > I think this ship has sailed long ago. E.g., GCC has been spewing > UTF-8 encoded quotes at me for several years now, and many Info > manuals started using Unicode characters, that show as gibberish on my > text terminal, many moons ago. > > Like you, I don't like these characters very much. The make my life > slightly harder. But I like fighting quixotic wars even less. > Instead of fighting this wave, we should adapt and move on. > > And there are ways of adapting: convenient input methods for typing > the characters, replacements for displaying them on terminals that > cannot show the originals Can we make " match fancy quotes in isearch?