all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Undefined dictionary: espanol
@ 2010-01-25 12:24 Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo
From: Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo @ 2010-01-25 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all.

I am trying to install and use the spell checking in emacs, everything
seems fine with the America, British, Italian, and Swedish
dictionaries. But as soon as I try to use the Spanish (espanol)
dictionary I get the message:

"Undefined dictionary: espanol"

Similar messages appear when I try to use different dictionaries such
as Italiano-Tex, etc....

I have look for this problem in internet but so far there is nothing
really useful. A bit of information of my system

GNU Emacs 23.1.1
opensuse 11.2
International Ispell Version 3.3.02 12 Jun 2005

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Diego.

--
Diego A. Torres
datorresg@gmail.com

* Re: Undefined dictionary: espanol
@ 2010-01-25 15:47 ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found]   ` <db4cfe511001250811w24f2dfacn1ae7e984c35896d@mail.gmail.com>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: datorresg

Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo <datorresg@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to install and use the spell checking in emacs, everything
> seems fine with the America, British, Italian, and Swedish
> dictionaries. But as soon as I try to use the Spanish (espanol)
> dictionary I get the message:
>
> "Undefined dictionary: espanol"

There is "espanol" and "espa\361ol" on my aspell install.

You can try "castellano" as well.

After M-x ispell-change-dictionary, you can press TAB for seeing a list
of available dictionaries

* Re: Undefined dictionary: espanol
@ 2010-01-25 15:53 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <db4cfe511001250810r733e257m8bbdda72312fb9a4@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-01-25 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.01.2010 um 13:24 schrieb Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo:

> "Undefined dictionary: espanol"

Try "M-x ispell-change-dictionary" and then let GNU Emacs complete the
dictionary's name. This way it will list all dictionaries it finds.
Maybe you just need to correct the spelling – or you need to install
that dictionary! It does not come with GNU Emacs, it's part of your
system's Ispell installation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found
ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
				– Blaise Pascal

@ 2010-01-25 17:40     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-01-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo; +Cc: Emacs Users

Am 25.01.2010 um 17:10 schrieb Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo:

> When I try "M-x ispell-change-dictionary" I get
>
> Possible completions are:
> american 	british 	default
> english 	italiano 	svenska
>
> But in "/usr/lib/ispell/"  I have the dictionaries

So it looks as if two installers were working in bringing Ispell to
your computer... (You could check with find or locate where all the
AFF and HASH files are installed. It is most probably /usr/lib.) The
only relevant programme is ispell itself. Launch it with -vv and see
which LIBDIR it reports. The manual page should, in theory, mention
this place as well. This directory is searched for dictionaries, and
there doesn't seem to be a way to tell Ispell where to look for
additional dictionaries.

If you can't make the second (additional) set of dictionaries to be
removed from the old faulty place and re-installed in LIBDIR, then
hard-link these files (HASH and AFF) into LIBDIR .

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.
				(Paul Eluard)

@ 2010-01-25 17:56     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-01-25 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo; +Cc: Emacs Users

Am 25.01.2010 um 17:10 schrieb Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo:

> But in "/usr/lib/ispell/"  I have the dictionaries

There is a variable in GNU Emacs you could customise: ispell-alternate-
dictionary. (Took some time to remember it.)

--
Greetings

   Pete     === -Q
              ==<__/% >>
_____________(_)____@_____________________________

@ 2010-01-25 18:35     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-25 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[cc'ing help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org]

Diego Alejandro Torres Galindo <datorresg@gmail.com> writes:

> When I try "M-x ispell-change-dictionary" I get
>
> Possible completions are:
> american 	british 	default
> english 	italiano 	svenska
>
> But in "/usr/lib/ispell/"  I have the dictionaries
>
> american.aff            british.hash          english.hash
> italian.hash
> american.hash        britishmed.hash    espanol.aff              spanish.aff
> americanmed.hash  britishxlg.hash      espanol.hash          spanish.hash
> americanxlg.hash    svenska.aff
> british.aff                 english.aff             italian.aff
>          svenska.hash
>
> As you can see there is a spanish and "espanol" dictionaries in
> ispell. It is very strange.

Check that emacs is using `ispell' and not other application such as
`aspell'. See the value of the variable `ispell-program-name'.