all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to bring previous-buffer to cycle through the full list of buffers
@ 2015-05-10 12:29 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2015-05-10 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: juergen_hartmann_; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > After the windows history is exhausted by repetitively applying
 > previous-buffer, the cycling continues with all the other buffers in the
 > global buffer list, but this time unconditionally skipping those of them that
 > are visible in other windows--regardless of the setting in
 > switch-to-visible-buffer.

Try to replace the line

	  (if (get-buffer-window buffer frame)

with

	  (if (and (not switch-to-visible-buffer)
		   (get-buffer-window new-buffer frame))

in both `switch-to-prev-buffer' and `switch-to-next-buffer' (move these
functions to your .emacs if you cannot rebuild Emacs).

I didn't test this and don't know whether it has any adversary effect,
so you may have to play around with it ;-)

martin

* How to bring previous-buffer to cycle through the full list of buffers
@ 2015-05-07  8:41 Jürgen Hartmann
From: Jürgen Hartmann @ 2015-05-07  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I know that in Emacs 24.5, but also earlier versions, there is is the
variable switch-to-visible-buffer whose default value t causes
switch-to-prev-buffer, and hence also previous-buffer, to cycle through all
buffers in the given window's history even if they might be visible in other
windows.

After the windows history is exhausted by repetitively applying
previous-buffer, the cycling continues with all the other buffers in the
global buffer list, but this time unconditionally skipping those of them that
are visible in other windows--regardless of the setting in
switch-to-visible-buffer.

Does anyone knows a way to bring previous-buffer to cycle through the whole
list of buffers regardless of their visibility elsewhere and regardless of
windows histories?

Any hint is greatly welcome.

Juergen