all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* starter kit settings
@ 2011-09-29  1:34 Lachlan Deck
From: Lachlan Deck @ 2011-09-29  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

(no emacs guru here)

I've tried switching over to using the starter kit recently and have a couple of questions, as it's a bit different to the standard emacs setup.

Firstly, opening menu items seemingly uses the IDO package. However pressing F10 or M-~ shows in the footer:
Menu bar (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): f===>File

getting to the other menu items only works for me by backspacing over 'f===>File' where I can then cycle through, via ido, the rest. It's quite annoying.

However, what's worse is that when I select an item I simply get:
Wrong type argument: symbolp, (history . 20)

Is there a way to fix this or restore the default functionality of eclipse for this particular feature such that the menu items pop up in a buffer for easy selection?

Cheers.

Lachlan Deck
lachlan.deck@gmail.com

* Re: starter kit settings
@ 2011-10-02 20:24 ` Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2011-10-02 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Lachlan Deck <lachlan.deck@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to fix this or restore the default functionality of eclipse for this particular feature
> such that the menu items pop up in a buffer for easy selection?

Yes, there is a way to restore Emacs's default behavior. Add the
following function to one of your own startup files. It reverses the
change made by the ESK:

(menu-bar-mode t)

If you are using ESK 2.0.x, the most logical startup file will
probably be ~/.emacs.d/ldeck.el (if your user name is ldeck). When
Emacs starts, the ESK 2.0 automatically evaluates an elisp file named
for the current user in ~/.emacs.d.

Regards,
Tom Davey

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com

* Re: starter kit settings
@ 2011-10-03  5:45 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2011-10-03  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lachlan> Firstly, opening menu items seemingly uses the IDO
Lachlan> package. However pressing F10 or M-~ shows in the footer: Menu
Lachlan> bar (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): f===>File

Lachlan> getting to the other menu items only works for me by
Lachlan> backspacing over f===>File' where I can then cycle through, via
Lachlan> ido, the rest. It's quite annoying.

Do you not see the entire menu in a separate subwindow?  You should.
You're not supposed to edit the prompt the way you're trying to, just
type the single letter mnemonic of the desired item which should be
clear from the menu (if it is visible).

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD

* Re: starter kit settings
@ 2011-10-03 18:15   ` Lachlan Deck
From: Lachlan Deck @ 2011-10-03 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Zimmerman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 03/10/2011, at 4:45 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Lachlan> Firstly, opening menu items seemingly uses the IDO
> Lachlan> package. However pressing F10 or M-~ shows in the footer: Menu
> Lachlan> bar (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): f===>File
>
> Lachlan> getting to the other menu items only works for me by
> Lachlan> backspacing over f===>File' where I can then cycle through, via
> Lachlan> ido, the rest. It's quite annoying.
>
> Do you not see the entire menu in a separate subwindow?  You should.

No. A new buffer comes up, but not with the contents of the menu (as I would expect), but with this:
---
Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to change
the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press the
marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to cancel.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

There are no possible completions of what you have typed.
---

> You're not supposed to edit the prompt the way you're trying to, just
> type the single letter mnemonic of the desired item which should be
> clear from the menu (if it is visible).

I was hoping to have the menu-bar invisible, but to still make use of it when needed (via the buffer popup).

Lachlan Deck
lachlan.deck@gmail.com

* Re: starter kit settings
@ 2011-10-03 18:22     ` Lachlan Deck
From: Lachlan Deck @ 2011-10-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Zimmerman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/10/2011, at 5:15 AM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

> On 03/10/2011, at 4:45 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>

>> Lachlan> Firstly, opening menu items seemingly uses the IDO
>> Lachlan> package. However pressing F10 or M-~ shows in the footer: Menu
>> Lachlan> bar (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): f===>File
>>
>> Lachlan> getting to the other menu items only works for me by
>> Lachlan> backspacing over f===>File' where I can then cycle through, via
>> Lachlan> ido, the rest. It's quite annoying.
>>
>> Do you not see the entire menu in a separate subwindow?  You should.
>
> No. A new buffer comes up, but not with the contents of the menu (as I would expect), but with this:
> ---
> Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
> Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to change
> the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press the
> marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to cancel.
> In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>
> There are no possible completions of what you have typed.
> ---

Actually I've just noticed that this problem happens when I've got ECB active. Any ideas why?

Lachlan Deck
lachlan.deck@gmail.com

* Re: starter kit settings
@ 2011-10-03 19:19       ` Lachlan Deck
From: Lachlan Deck @ 2011-10-03 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/10/2011, at 5:22 AM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

> On 04/10/2011, at 5:15 AM, Lachlan Deck wrote:
>
>> On 03/10/2011, at 4:45 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>>

>>> Lachlan> Firstly, opening menu items seemingly uses the IDO
>>> Lachlan> package. However pressing F10 or M-~ shows in the footer: Menu
>>> Lachlan> bar (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): f===>File
>>>
>>> Lachlan> getting to the other menu items only works for me by
>>> Lachlan> backspacing over f===>File' where I can then cycle through, via
>>> Lachlan> ido, the rest. It's quite annoying.
>>>
>>> Do you not see the entire menu in a separate subwindow?  You should.
>>
>> No. A new buffer comes up, but not with the contents of the menu (as I would expect), but with this:
>> ---
>> Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
>> Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to change
>> the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press the
>> marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to cancel.
>> In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>>
>> There are no possible completions of what you have typed.
>> ---
>
> Actually I've just noticed that this problem happens when I've got ECB active. Any ideas why?

And, furthermore, it only happens the first time and until I select an option and thus trigger a Backtrace. After I've done that, the normal behaviour is returned. So I've got a work-around, but it'd be good to know how to configure things so it doesn't happen initially at all.

Cheers.

Lachlan Deck
lachlan.deck@gmail.com