all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
@ 2008-07-06  5:18 black
From: black @ 2008-07-06  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi folks,
i'm using emacs under windows and it looks cool. however i need emacs
to recognize Flash ActionScript files(.as files) and support its
syntax highlighting. i downloaded a "actionscript-mode.el" from
another guy's website, however i still dont know how to install
this .el to make it work with emacs. any help pls ?

--
Never end on learning~

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
@ 2008-07-06  7:28 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-06  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: black; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.07.2008 um 07:18 schrieb black:

> however i still dont know how to install
> this .el to make it work with emacs

Read the header of actionscript-mode.el (it should describe how to
make it work) and put it then into a directory like /usr/local/share/
emacs/22.2/site-lisp, where "22.2" is the version of GNU Emacs. If no
help comes out of actionscript-mode.el, then a statement like

	(load-library "actionscript-mode")

in your init file should at least "load" it at launch time.

You can also augment the variable load-path with the name of the
directory you saved the file.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
				– Oscar Wilde

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
@ 2008-07-06  7:30 ` Frayja
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Frayja @ 2008-07-06  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quiteblack; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

If the actionscript-mode behaves like most other modes you should be
able to use it when you insert the following code in your .emacs file:

(require 'actionscript-mode)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.as$" . actionscript-mode)))

This will look for the actionscript-mode.el file in the known
directories and assign .as files to the actionscript-mode. Assuming
you are using XEmacs, then you can put the actionscript-mode.el file
in the XEmacs/site-packages/lisp directory.

I hope that this is what you're looking for.
Regards,
Frayja

From: black <quiteblack@gmail.com>
Date: : Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:18:21 +0800
> hi folks,
> i'm using emacs under windows and it looks cool. however i need emacs
> to recognize Flash ActionScript files(.as files) and support its
> syntax highlighting. i downloaded a "actionscript-mode.el" from
> another guy's website, however i still dont know how to install
> this .el to make it work with emacs. any help pls ?
>
> --
> Never end on learning~

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
@ 2008-07-06  7:51 ` rmborchers, Borchers <rmborchers
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: rmborchers, Borchers <rmborchers @ 2008-07-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: black; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You have to copy the file to a location in the loadpath or add a new
path to your .emacs (add-to-list 'load-path "path-to-file")

Load the file at startup
(require 'actionscript-mode)

Add to your .emacs file
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.as$" . actionscript-mode.el) auto-mode-alist))
to make emacs using actionscript-mode when opening a .as file

--
                             \\\
                            (0 0)

	"And, and, and, and, but, but, but, but!"
		-- Mrs. Janice Markowsky, April 8, 1965

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-06 15:08 ` black
       [not found] ` <mailman.14287.1215360668.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: black @ 2008-07-06 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

well a problem to me  is, i can't find .emacs at all.
i think it is because i'm using emacs under windows(vista), or that file
hides itself somewhere than c:// ? (my emacs version is 22.2.1)

--

@ 2008-07-06 16:43   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2008-07-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

black wrote:
> well a problem to me  is, i can't find .emacs at all.
> i think it is because i'm using emacs under windows(vista), or that file
> hides itself somewhere than c:// ? (my emacs version is 22.2.1)

load the file "~/.emacs". ~/ is the home directory on Unix, on Windows
emacs will map this to an appropriate place, probably
"c:\documents and settings\black\Application Data\" on vista.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
@ 2008-07-06 17:32   ` rmborchers, Borchers <rmborchers
From: rmborchers, Borchers <rmborchers @ 2008-07-06 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: black; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You should give windows find a try at _emacs

3.5 Where do I put my init file?

On Windows, the .emacs file may be called _emacs for backward
compatibility with DOS and FAT filesystems where filenames could not
start with a dot. Some users prefer to continue using such a name,
because Explorer cannot create a file with a name starting with a dot,
even though the filesystem and most other programs can handle it. In
Emacs 22 and later, the init file may also be called
.emacs.d/init.el. Many of the other files that are created by lisp
packages are now stored in the .emacs.d directory too, so this keeps
all your Emacs related files in one place.

All the files mentioned above should go in your HOME directory. The
HOME directory is determined by following the steps below:

   1. If the environment variable HOME is set, use the directory it
   indicates.
   2. If the registry entry HKCU\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs\HOME is set, use
   the directory it indicates.
   3. If the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs\HOME is set, use
   the directory it indicates. Not recommended, as it results in users
   sharing the same HOME directory.
   4. If C:\.emacs exists, then use C:/. This is for backward
   compatibility, as previous versions defaulted to C:/ if HOME was
   not set.
   5. Use the user's AppData directory, usually a directory called
   Application Data under the user's profile directory, the location
   of which varies according to Windows version and whether the
   computer is part of a domain.

Within Emacs, <~> at the beginning of a file name is expanded to your
HOME directory, so you can always find your .emacs file with C-x C-f
~/.emacs.
--
                             \\\
                            (0 0)
--------------------------o0o(_)o0o-------------------------
Registered Linux User No.291649 http://www.linux-counter.org
Registered LFS user No.16792 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
Uptime   : 19:25:41 up 12:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.20, 0.26
Kernel   : Linux 2.6.18.8.tex5 #1 SMP Thu May 10 11:36:58 WST 2007
Processor: model name	: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-30
web: http://rene-borchers.homelinux.com
The surest protection against temptation is cowardice.
		-- Mark Twain

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.14287.1215360668.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-07  4:07 ` black
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: black @ 2008-07-07  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ok i found a folder like this
C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data\.emacs.d\auto-save-list
which is empty.

do i need to put my actionscript .el file into this folder and run some
command to make it work ?

--
Never end on learning~

* Re: how to import other programming language support on windows emacs ?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-07 14:20 ` black
       [not found] ` <mailman.14311.1215403653.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.14334.1215440442.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: black @ 2008-07-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thanks. i tried ur method and
C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data\.emacs.d\auto-save-list
is exaclty what i got from C-x C-f ~/.emacs.

anyone who's experienced with emacs and windows could figure out how can i
import my actionscript.el pls ?

--

@ 2008-07-07 21:18   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2008-07-07 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

black wrote:
> ok i found a folder like this
> C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data\.emacs.d\auto-save-list
> which is empty.
>
> do i need to put my actionscript .el file into this folder and run some
> command to make it work ?

Black,
I use xemacs. These instructions are based on xemacs,
but should work on emacs.

1) save actionscript.el into
C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data\.emacs.d

2)
Load ~/.emacs

3)
Press C-h v load-path
This will display the paths emacs looks in for packages
Press C-s and type .emacs.d RET

If C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data\.emacs.d\
is not in the path,
enter into your .emacs,

(add-path "~/.emacs.d/")

4)
Add to your .emacs
(load-library "actionscript.el")

5)
Exit & restart emacs, then load an actionscript file.
If emacs is in fundamental or text mode (its the text in brackets on the status line),
then skip to step 7.

6)
If emacs is opening .as files as something else, then it
has been told to do so.
We need to remove that association.
Press C-h v auto-mode-alist RET
to list the associations.

Search in here to find it. Assuming there is a entry like
("\\.as\\'" . asm-mode)
then add to your .emacs
(remove-alist 'auto-mode-alist '"\\.as\\'"")

7)
Swap to the action script file an
enter M-x actionscript-mode RET
This should put emacs into actionscipt mode

If this does not work, try
M-x action-script-mode RET

8)
Add to your .emacs
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.as\\'" . actionscript-mode) 't)
assuming you want .as files to be autoloaded as actionscript.
If you need action-script-mode in step 7, use that here.

9)
Exit & restart emacs, then load an actionscript file.
Emacs should open it as actionscript.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

@ 2008-07-09 14:44   ` james
From: james @ 2008-07-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 7, 9:20 am, black <quitebl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks. i tried ur method and
> C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data\.emacs.d\auto-save-list
> is exaclty what i got from C-x C-f ~/.emacs.
>
> anyone who's experienced with emacs and windows could figure out how can i
> import my actionscript.el pls ?

Do you have something loaded which does some sort of autocomplete at
the find prompt (unlikely, I suppose)?  If so, or if you're not sure,
you can get around it by calling the function non-interactively like
so:
  M-x eval-expression
At the "Eval: " prompt enter:
  (find-file "~/.emacs")
including the parentheses

Like someone else mentioned, you can also try _emacs as a workaround
that I've never found necessary under windows XP

If you get the .emacs file open, first find a place to save the elisp
file, perhaps ~/elisp
  M-x make-directory, then ~/elisp
Copy the file to C:\Documents and Settings\Black Qin\Application Data
\elisp using windows explorer

Then you can follow rene's advice and to the .emacs file add:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")
(require 'actionscript-mode)
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.as$" . actionscript-mode.el) auto-
mode-alist))

Then M-x eval-buffer to try the settings out