Glenn Morris wrote: > The file ChangeLog.1 in the repo contains a mixture of new, generated > entries applying to the entire Emacs tree, and (before a certain magic > date) older, hand-written entries that only apply to the top-level > (essentially) directory. I think it's pretty confusing to have both > things in the same file. If you prefer a sharper division between pre-April-7 and post-April-7 entries, we can move the latter entries into a new file ChangeLog.2. That is, ChangeLog.1 and ChangeLog.2 would both be hand-maintained, ChangeLog.1 would contain top-level entries predating April 7, and ChangeLog.2 would contain all entries between April 7 and the most recent 'make change-history'. Please see the first attached patch. (I haven't tested it.) > Suppose we improve/change the ChangeLog generation script, and want to > regenerate the generated ChangeLog. It will be difficult to extract the > various corrections that have been applied by hand to the generated > entries. That shouldn't be a problem, as the newly-generated ChangeLog shouldn't include any hand-corrected entries. All hand-corrected entries should be in ChangeLog.1 (or ChangeLog.2, etc.). > I had assumed that "ChangeLog" would be a top-level generated file that > would grow and grow with time, and would always be generated from > scratch whenever needed That's basically right, except that the generated "ChangeLog" file also shrinks after 'make change-history' is run. > with entries always starting from Apr 7 2015. No, the automatically-generated 'ChangeLog' entries start from the last time 'make change-history' was run. > erc uses a non-standard scheme where .YY contains the entries for 20YY. Ah, sorry, I didn't know that. We could proceed as you suggest, though we'd need to add a line to Makefile.in. Please see the second attached patch (it's so large that I gzipped it). (I haven't tested this either.)