all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Robin Templeton <robin@terpri.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master cbef1e9 2/3: ; make change-history-commit
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 22:41:02 -0700	[thread overview]

Robin Templeton wrote:
> If only corrections to specific commits were stored,
> it would be possible to amend the log messages as viewed with git
> commands, perhaps using git object notes.

I originally proposed that -- it's the approach Coreutils takes -- but the
Coreutils approach turns out to be too much of a pain to understand and use in
the context of Emacs development.  Glenn did suggest object notes, but as I
understand it Emacs VC doesn't support them.  So I went with the best
easy-enough approach that I could think of, an approach based on Emacs's
tradition of ChangeLog history files.  If we can think of something better, we
should switch to it.

> Separating corrections could also completely eliminate ChangeLog merge
> conflicts.

I don't see how.  No matter how one versions corrections, merge conflicts can
occur if concurrent developers generate different corrections for the same
ChangeLog entry.  Perhaps Git wouldn't identify them as conflicts, but they'd
still be conflicts.  Certainly object notes can have conflicts.

That being said, I expect the current scheme will greatly reduce merge conflicts
in practice.  For example, I expect it would have avoided RMS's merge conflict
that started that looooong recent thread.