all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* defadvicing next-error
@ 2015-03-31 12:18 Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2015-03-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I had defadviced isearch-update a long time ago so that it also
recenters the screen and have never looked back. Best entry I made in my
.emacs.el :) Here is what I have for that:

(defadvice isearch-update (after recenter activate)
  (recenter))

Now I want to do the same thing with next-error:

(defadvice next-error (after recenter activate)
  (recenter))

But while this works most of the time, it doesn't work with the first
hit. And it doesn't work when a transition happens from one source file
to another. I get "recenter'ing a window that does not display
current-buffer".

So how do I get the recenter for every hit of next-error, just like
isearch-update?

Timur

* Re: defadvicing next-error
@ 2015-03-31 15:09 ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2015-03-31 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue 31 Mar 2015, Timur Aydin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had defadviced isearch-update a long time ago so that it also
> recenters the screen and have never looked back. Best entry I made in my
> .emacs.el :) Here is what I have for that:
>
> (defadvice isearch-update (after recenter activate)
>   (recenter))
>
> Now I want to do the same thing with next-error:
>
> (defadvice next-error (after recenter activate)
>   (recenter))
>
> But while this works most of the time, it doesn't work with the first
> hit. And it doesn't work when a transition happens from one source file
> to another. I get "recenter'ing a window that does not display
> current-buffer".
>
> So how do I get the recenter for every hit of next-error, just like
> isearch-update?

There is no need for advice: see variable next-error-recenter.

    AndyM

* Re: defadvicing next-error
@ 2015-03-31 16:34   ` Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2015-03-31 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/31/2015 6:09 PM, Andy Moreton wrote:
> There is no need for advice: see variable next-error-recenter.

Thank you for this information. I have customized it and now it works
perfectly.

--
Timur