Function `bookmark-get-bookmark' ... 1] tests for the existence of a bookmark by checking whether the input string matches a cons cell. This casts a net much wider than desirable, and might better be (assoc bookmark-name-or-record bookmark-alist). 2] returns only a string value on error, without passing nil back to the calling function. My usage case is that I was scripting a function to find org-mode files in a directory tree, and add them to a bookmark list if they aren't already bookmarked according to my naming convention. Originally, I had tried checking for the existence of a bookmark using a few of the bookmark.el functions, such as bookmark-get-bookmark, but that looked inconvenient because they returned string values on failure. -- hkp://keys.gnupg.net CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1 7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0