all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to find elisp info doc for a function?
@ 2016-02-16 14:16 Shiyao Ma
From: Shiyao Ma @ 2016-02-16 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

For example, how can I find the elisp info doc for `mapconcat'  right
inside emacs?

--

吾輩は猫である。ホームーページはhttps://introo.me <http://introo.me>。

* RE: How to find elisp info doc for a function?
@ 2016-02-16 14:50 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-02-16 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyao Ma, help-gnu-emacs

> For example, how can I find the elisp info doc for `mapconcat' right
> inside emacs?

Use command `info-lookup-symbol', bound by default to `C-h S'.

But first, put the cursor in a buffer that is in Emacs-Lisp mode.

* Re: How to find elisp info doc for a function?
@ 2016-02-17  1:04   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-17  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> For example, how can I find the elisp info doc for
>> `mapconcat' right inside emacs?
>
> Use command `info-lookup-symbol', bound by default
> to `C-h S'.
>
> But first, put the cursor in a buffer that is in
> Emacs-Lisp mode.

Either do that, or

    C-u C-h S emacs-lisp-mode RET mapconcat RET

If you (the OP) do this several times a day, you can
do something like this and bind it to a shortcut:

    (defun info-lookup-elisp-symbol (symbol)
      (interactive "Ssymbol: ")
      (info-lookup-symbol symbol 'emacs-lisp-mode))

It can be polished even further with a default to the
symbol at point, however it is only educative to have
to spell out the whole function name when you look
it up.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to find elisp info doc for a function?
@ 2016-02-17  6:39     ` Shiyao Ma
From: Shiyao Ma @ 2016-02-17  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cool.

Thanks very much for you two guys.

* Re: How to find elisp info doc for a function?
@ 2016-02-29  8:23       ` Shiyao Ma
From: Shiyao Ma @ 2016-02-29  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

'c-h S' works fine, before I encounter this command "deleter-char".

'c-h S' takes me to:
(emacs)Top > Killing > Deletion and Killing > Deletion

However, I'd like it go to:
(elisp)Top > Text > Deletion

Regards.

@ 2016-02-29 15:28         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-02-29 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyao Ma, help-gnu-emacs

> 'c-h S' works fine, before I encounter this command "deleter-char".
> 'c-h S' takes me to:
> (emacs)Top > Killing > Deletion and Killing > Deletion
> However, I'd like it go to:
> (elisp)Top > Text > Deletion

M-x report-emacs-bug