Three reasons I think this should be considered a bug, and changed - two from a programmer's perspective, and one from a user's perspective. For both, consider the cases of functions `toggle-option' (this bug report) and `highlight-regexp' (bug #19877). 1] From a programmer's perspective, forcing a HIST when the programmer asks for COLLECTION = !nil and HIST = nil, creates a conflict when parameter REQUIRE-MATCH is set to `t', because the mini-buffer will offer entries, from HIST, that are not in COLLECTION, and those entries will then just be rejected due to REQUIRE-MATCH. 2] From a programmer's perspective, there are four legitimate combinations of COLLECTION and HIST, and the current state denies a programmer the freedom to offer a specific COLLECTION without some general HIST. 3] From a user's perspective (and this is how I came across both instances of this issue), I don't want invalid or nonsense options being presented to me by emacs. They just confuse, invite unwanted outcomes, and delay finishing the task at hand. In the case of `toggle-option', the current situation has the mini-buffer offering the user options that, should the user select, will be rejected as invalid by the mini-buffer. In the case of `highlight-regexp', the choices that the mini-buffer offer from HIST are accepted, but are undesirable, lead to confusion in selection, and confusion in navigating amongst the desirable elements, ie. those in COLLECTION. On 03/08/2015 09:08 PM, Glenn Morris wrote: > Boruch Baum wrote: > >> Function `toggle-option' calls `completing-read', without providing >> parameters REQUIRE-MATCH or HIST. `completing-read' calls >> `completing-read-default' in `minibuffer.el'. `completing-read-default' >> calls `read-from-minibuffer' in `minibuf.c'. There, on line 974 of >> `minibuf.c:' >> >> if (NILP (histvar)) >> histvar = Qminibuffer_history; >> >> If I understand this correctly, this says that even if the caller >> explicitly says that there should be no history used (condition nil), >> the Qminibuffer_history should be used anyway. > > Nil means use the default history list. Eg see "Minibuffer History" in > the elisp manual: > > If you don't specify HISTORY, then the default history list > `minibuffer-history' is used. > > I don't see a bug here, other than perhaps the doc of completing-read > could stand to be more explicit, like the elisp manual is. > -- hkp://keys.gnupg.net CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1 7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0