On 01/22/2015 01:35 AM, René Kyllingstad wrote: > On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:17 AM, David Kastrup wrote: >> That does not mean that I am convinced we want or need short-lambda. > > Both C++ and Java have "recently" added a succinct syntax for their equivalents. They have, although Boost.Lambda is arguable even terser than what ended up in the standard. What makes the C++ and Java improvements different is that the alternatives available in the old dialects of C++ and Java were _far_ more verbose than the new syntax, so the relative gain was larger than we'd see with the syntax proposed in this thread. lambda is terse enough already that we don't need a new, even terser syntax. A better comparison is ES6 JavaScript's new short function syntax, which replaces something like this: function(arg) { return foo(arg); } with arg => foo(arg) That's still a much bigger relative improvement than we'd get from compressing the lambda symbol down to nothing. ES6 arrows are also this-capturing, which is a much-needed improvement in that language. We have no such problem.