On 01/19/2015 06:33 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >> Prefer memset to repeatedly assigning Qnil > > I don't know if I like this idea very much. It's nice to make Qnil be > represented by 0, but should we really rely on this all over the place, > making it quasi-impossible to revisit this choice in the future? If we can't rely on Qnil being 0, what's the point of making Qnil == 0 in the first place? If we can rely on Qnil being 0, we can put Lisp variables in BSS, use memset, and perform other nice optimizations.