all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2015-01-15  6:21 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2015-01-15  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 19603

Hi,

Now emacs packages are widely used,
it would be great to improve the startup message of emacs with a link
about how to quickly setup package.el to be usable.
I have regularly people complaining "It is not working" because
they install packages through package.el and they don't add in their
init file `package-initialize', or they try compiling autoload file
etc...  I have provided a link in my Readme file to redirect to a brief
documentation on how to use all this, but apparently many don't read
this...

WDYT ?

In GNU Emacs 24.4.51.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2015-01-11 on dell-14z
Repository revision: b544ab561fcb575790c963a2eda51524fa366409
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  git-gutter-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Auto-saving...done
Do you really want to mark all articles in gmane.emacs.bugs as read? (y or n) y
Do you really want to mark all articles in gmane.emacs.devel as read? (y or n) y
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.51/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval gnus-html url-cache
gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder
parse-time netrc gnutls network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache mail-extr
epa-mail view solar cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs smiley gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig w3m-form mule-util add-log conf-mode
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-hg jedi python-environment auto-complete
popup epc ctable concurrent deferred markdown-mode vc-rcs sh-script smie
executable make-mode vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias align-let git-gutter server psession golden-ratio winner
undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl elp slime-parse slime gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode
image-file xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp
python json eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time recentf
tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e
mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark
mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-about
mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo
config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail dired-async
iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus
gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect ledger-config ledger
esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse
pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info hyperspec
slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl dired-extension
emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-annotation-helper
addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions init-helm-thierry helm-mode
helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg helm-files
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell dired-x
dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap bookmark pp helm-help
helm-org org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp helm-plugin grep helm-external helm-utils dired
compile comint ansi-color ring helm-locate helm easy-mmode helm-source
vc vc-dispatcher helm-config helm-autoloads async-bytecomp cl-macs gv
async helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache package epg-config time-date avoid cus-start
cus-load w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 683885 43714)
 (symbols 48 67146 0)
 (miscs 40 1390 2179)
 (strings 32 166781 19653)
 (string-bytes 1 5011133)
 (vectors 16 58598)
 (vector-slots 8 991985 14360)
 (floats 8 2212 668)
 (intervals 56 7033 1828)
 (buffers 960 208)
 (heap 1024 73577 9284))
--
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2015-01-15 14:02 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2015-01-15 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 19603

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 07:21:02 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> Now emacs packages are widely used,
TV> it would be great to improve the startup message of emacs with a link
TV> about how to quickly setup package.el to be usable.
TV> I have regularly people complaining "It is not working" because
TV> they install packages through package.el and they don't add in their
TV> init file `package-initialize', or they try compiling autoload file
TV> etc...  I have provided a link in my Readme file to redirect to a brief
TV> documentation on how to use all this, but apparently many don't read
TV> this...

I bring this up every 2 years or so; it's time...

In Gnus and Emacs we have assistant.el, which could be used to guide the
user through the necessary steps to get packages working and then go
straight to `list-packages'.  Maybe it could be useful here?

Ted

* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2015-01-15 15:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-01-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 19603

> Now emacs packages are widely used,
> it would be great to improve the startup message of emacs with a link
> about how to quickly setup package.el to be usable.
> I have regularly people complaining "It is not working" because
> they install packages through package.el and they don't add in their
> init file `package-initialize',

Right, we do call package-initialize automatically for them, but we do
it "too late" in many cases.  Maybe the best option is to emit some
message at startup in the following case:
- there are packages installed.
- the .emacs file is non-empty.
- there is no call to package-initialize in the .emacs file.

> or they try compiling autoload file etc...

No idea how/why they'd do that, hence no idea how to help them
understand they shouldn't/needn't do it.  This said, it should do no
harm, does it?

* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2015-01-15 15:40   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2015-01-15 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 19603

>> Now emacs packages are widely used,
>> it would be great to improve the startup message of emacs with a link
>> about how to quickly setup package.el to be usable.
>> I have regularly people complaining "It is not working" because
>> they install packages through package.el and they don't add in their
>> init file `package-initialize',
>
> Right, we do call package-initialize automatically for them, but we do
> it "too late" in many cases.  Maybe the best option is to emit some
> message at startup in the following case:
> - there are packages installed.
> - the .emacs file is non-empty.
> - there is no call to package-initialize in the .emacs file.

Yeah, anything will be good as long as they are warned.

> No idea how/why they'd do that, hence no idea how to help them
> understand they shouldn't/needn't do it.  This said, it should do no
> harm, does it?

It should not, normally it should not be possible compiling this, but
one time one succeeded to do this, don't know how though, but yes that is
not the problem the main problem is package-initialize not called.

Thanks.

--
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2015-01-15 21:16   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-01-15 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier, Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 19603

On 01/15/2015 06:12 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Maybe the best option is to emit some
> message at startup in the following case:
> - there are packages installed.
> - the .emacs file is non-empty.
> - there is no call to package-initialize in the .emacs file.

But deferring packages initialization till after the init file has been
loaded is a valid strategy.

Maybe instead `require' should be advised during init file loading to do
something smart if the feature isn't found, but corresponds to a file in
.emacs.d/elpa/**/.

* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2015-01-15 22:48     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-01-15 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: 19603, Thierry Volpiatto

>> Maybe the best option is to emit some
>> message at startup in the following case:
>> - there are packages installed.
>> - the .emacs file is non-empty.
>> - there is no call to package-initialize in the .emacs file.
> But deferring packages initialization till after the init file has been
> loaded is a valid strategy.

It interacts poorly with hand customizations in ~/.emacs which typically
assume/need the packages to be initialized.

Note that the equivalent initialization (i.e. loading the autoloads) is
done (long) before loading the .emacs file for all the built-in packages.

* bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.
@ 2018-02-17 14:25     ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-02-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 19603, Stefan Monnier

close 19603
quit

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:
>
>>> Now emacs packages are widely used,
>>> it would be great to improve the startup message of emacs with a link
>>> about how to quickly setup package.el to be usable.
>>> I have regularly people complaining "It is not working" because
>>> they install packages through package.el and they don't add in their
>>> init file `package-initialize',
>>
>> Right, we do call package-initialize automatically for them, but we do
>> it "too late" in many cases.  Maybe the best option is to emit some
>> message at startup in the following case:
>> - there are packages installed.
>> - the .emacs file is non-empty.
>> - there is no call to package-initialize in the .emacs file.
>
> Yeah, anything will be good as long as they are warned.

The package-initialize problem is now solved in master in a different
way (such that nothing extra needs to be added for the typical case).

[1: 24acb31c04]: 2018-02-17 13:36:16 +0200
  Add early init file, stop package-initialize insertion
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=24acb31c04b4048b85311d794e600ecd7ce60d3b