Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Could we instead just keep the previous semantics of XIL and XLI, > please? They are used in a few places outside lisp.h, so now all of > those places need to be audited and most probably changed. Why isn't > it better to change the implementation of just 2 macros instead? XIL and XLI haven't changed, and have the same semantics as before: they convert between Lisp_Object and EMACS_INT without altering the bits (i.e., they are no-ops at the machine level). I expect it's better to keep them no-ops, for efficiency in the kernel of the Emacs Lisp interpreter. I audited all the places XIL and XLI are used, and the uses in non-w32 code are all fine. I don't know the w32 code, but most likely some or all of its uses need to be changed. I moved the new conversion operations to lisp.h (installed on master) and wrote the attached untested patch for the w32 code.