all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* greek characters
@ 2005-05-11  8:47 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-05-11  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw

Dear list members,

I have been using emacs for a few months but am still trying to find
out how to type greek letters (e.g.: a-ketoglutarate, the a should be
an alpha).

I looked at the online manuals, but I don't understand what is written
there.
I checked the archives, but simple things like this are probably not
discussed there.
I bought "Learning GNU Emacs" from O'Reilly, but they only explain
obvious things that one could find out without the book.
I tried changing "Options" but I have no idea where to begin and
nothing I tried worked.

Could somebody explain in SIMPLE words what to do? There is a deadline
for handing in a TeX/ConTeXt document ...

I'm running GNU emacs version 21 on Mac OS X, international keyboard,
english language; and on GNU/Linux with a British keyboard.

I managed to get the accents (aigu, grave, umlauts etc.) by C-x C-m C-\
latin-1-prefix. The characters are displayed as empty boxes, but I can
live with that for the moment. (C-h h displays mostly empty boxes).

Thank you for your help, Jörg

* Re: greek characters
       [not found] <mailman.4621.1115801935.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-05-11  9:51 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-05-11  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw

Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> writes:

Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> writes:

> Dear list members,
>
> I have been using emacs for a few months but am still trying to find
> out how to type greek letters (e.g.: a-ketoglutarate, the a should be
> an alpha).

(set-input-method 'greek)

You can bind it to a function key, for example I have:

(global-set-key [C-f10] (lambda()(interactive)(set-input-method 'cyrillic-yawerty)))
(global-set-key [C-f11] (lambda()(interactive)(set-input-method 'greek)))
(global-set-key [C-f12] (lambda()(interactive)(set-input-method 'hebrew)))

in my ~/.emacs.  Then I'd type:

   C-f11 a C-\ -ketoglutarate

to get:

   α-ketoglutarate

C-f11 χριστòς C-\

Cats meow out of angst
"Thumbs! If only we had thumbs!
We could break so much!"

* Greek characters
@ 2015-01-04 23:52 Hugh Mayfield
From: Hugh Mayfield @ 2015-01-04 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I want to find out how to produce a Greek beta with a circumflex.  I got
as far as trying the TeX input-mode, but I can only produce a plain
beta, no circumflex.  Can anyone help, please?  Is there a method other
than TeX?

This is for my partner who is doing something statistical.

Regards

Hugh

--
Hugh Mayfield
mayfield.motd.org

* Re: Greek characters
@ 2015-01-05 10:27 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-01-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hugh Mayfield writes:

> I want to find out how to produce a Greek beta with a circumflex.  I got
> as far as trying the TeX input-mode, but I can only produce a plain
> beta, no circumflex.  Can anyone help, please?  Is there a method other
> than TeX?

C-x 8 RET greek small letter beta C-x 8 RET combining circumflex accent

or equivalently

C-x 8 RET 3b2 C-x 8 RET 302

(Tab completion is available when entering the Unicode character names,
of course.)

Alexis.