all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus pop3 ssl problem
@ 2014-11-27 13:14 Alex Safonov
From: Alex Safonov @ 2014-11-27 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, guys

I've got an issue with emacs 24.4 and gnus tryin to connect to my Gmail
via POP3

My .gnus file for pop3 account looks like this:

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "me@asafonov.org"
             :password "******"
             :stream ssl)))

When gnus is trying to connect it uses gnutls. And I'm getting an error

Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user me@asafonov.org:password ******** :stream ssl) error (USER
me@asafonov.org not valid).  Continue? (yes or no)

I am sure my login and password are correct, I can execute gnutls
manually

[asafonov@localhost ~]$ gnutls-cli --insecure -p 995 pop.gmail.com
+OK Gpop ready for requests
USER me@asafonov.org
+OK send PASS
PASS ******
+OK Welcome.

But it seems like gnus is failing to complete this step.

My OS is Fedora 20, Emacs 24.4 built from source code

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

* Re: Gnus pop3 ssl problem
@ 2014-11-28  0:46 ` Christopher Reichert
From: Christopher Reichert @ 2014-11-28  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 27 2014, Alex Safonov <me@asafonov.org> wrote:
> Hello, guys
>
> I've got an issue with emacs 24.4 and gnus tryin to connect to my Gmail
> via POP3
>
> My .gnus file for pop3 account looks like this:
>

> (setq mail-sources
>       '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "me@asafonov.org"
>              :password "******"
>              :stream ssl)))

You might try "pop.googlemail.com" as the server. I'm still not exactly
sure how that would explain how you are able to connect using
gnutls-cli, though.

> When gnus is trying to connect it uses gnutls. And I'm getting an error
>

> Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user me@asafonov.org:password ******** :stream ssl) error (USER
> me@asafonov.org not valid).  Continue? (yes or no)
>

> I am sure my login and password are correct, I can execute gnutls
> manually
>

> [asafonov@localhost ~]$ gnutls-cli --insecure -p 995 pop.gmail.com
> +OK Gpop ready for requests
> USER me@asafonov.org
> +OK send PASS
> PASS ******
> +OK Welcome.

Regards,

--
Christopher Reichert
irc: creichert

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Gnus pop3 ssl problem
       [not found] <mailman.14801.1417102580.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-11-28  2:46 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-11-28  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Safonov <me@asafonov.org> writes:

> I've got an issue with emacs 24.4 and gnus tryin to
> connect to my Gmail via POP3
>
> My .gnus file for pop3 account looks like this:
>
> (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
> :port 995 :user "me@asafonov.org" :password "******"
> :stream ssl)))
>
> When gnus is trying to connect it uses gnutls. And
> I'm getting an error
>
> Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995
> :user me@asafonov.org:password ******** :stream ssl)
> error (USER me@asafonov.org not valid). Continue?
> (yes or no)
>
> I am sure my login and password are correct, I can
> execute gnutls manually

The only thing I have on gnutls is:

    (setq gnutls-min-prime-bits 1024)

You can also try to set it to 256.

Otherwise if you can do it manually, but not
automatically with Gnus, you have to analyze what the
difference is between the two methods.

I never used gnutls-cli but this

    --insecure

sure sticks out compared to

    :stream ssl

If none of this shaman stuff helps you, post on
gnu.emacs.gnus as well to get in touch with a real
physician :)

--
underground experts united