all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cedet load error
@ 2011-04-29 10:06 flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-04-29 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have installed Cedet following these instructions here
http://cedet.sourceforge.net/setup.shtml

It seems to load okay except for 1 error,

Error#
Warning: cedet-called-interactively-p called with 0 arguments, but
requires 1

Does this relate to my .emacs file?

This is my emacs file(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(appmenu-mode t)
 '(cua-mode t nil (cua-base))
 '(emacsw32-max-frames t)
 '(emacsw32-style-frame-title t)
 '(hfyview-quick-print-in-
files-menu t)
 '(menuacc-mode t)
 '(noprint-hide-print-in-menus t)
 '(noprint-hide-ps-print-in-menus t)
 '(ourcomments-ido-ctrl-tab t)
 '(ps-paper-type "a4")
 '(rebind-keys-mode t)
 '(recentf-mode t)
 '(sex-mode t)
 '(tabkey2-mode t)
 '(w32-meta-style (quote emacs))
 '(w32shell-shell (quote cmd)))
(load-file "C:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/
cedet-1.0/common/cedet.el")
(global-ede-mode 1)                      ; Enable the Project
management system
(semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)      ; Enable prototype help and
smart completion
(global-srecode-minor-mode 1)            ; Enable template insertion
menu
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

What should i be looking at in regards fixing this error.

Sayth

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-04-29 11:06 ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-04-29 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 29, 8:06 pm, flebber <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Cedet following these instructions herehttp://cedet.sourceforge.net/setup.shtml
>
> It seems to load okay except for 1 error,
>
> Error#
> Warning: cedet-called-interactively-p called with 0 arguments, but
> requires 1
>
> Does this relate to my .emacs file?
>
> This is my emacs file(custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(appmenu-mode t)
>  '(cua-mode t nil (cua-base))
>  '(emacsw32-max-frames t)
>  '(emacsw32-style-frame-title t)
>  '(hfyview-quick-print-in-
> files-menu t)
>  '(menuacc-mode t)
>  '(noprint-hide-print-in-menus t)
>  '(noprint-hide-ps-print-in-menus t)
>  '(ourcomments-ido-ctrl-tab t)
>  '(ps-paper-type "a4")
>  '(rebind-keys-mode t)
>  '(recentf-mode t)
>  '(sex-mode t)
>  '(tabkey2-mode t)
>  '(w32-meta-style (quote emacs))
>  '(w32shell-shell (quote cmd)))
> (load-file "C:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/
> cedet-1.0/common/cedet.el")
> (global-ede-mode 1)                      ; Enable the Project
> management system
> (semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)      ; Enable prototype help and
> smart completion
> (global-srecode-minor-mode 1)            ; Enable template insertion
> menu
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  )
>
> What should i be looking at in regards fixing this error.
>
> Sayth

I got some more info from debug init

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"jump")
  require(jump)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/eschulte-rinari-1c3460f/rinari.el" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 2593
  load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/eschulte-rinari-1c3460f/rinari.el" "c:/Users/
RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/eschulte-rinari-1c3460f/
rinari.el" nil t)
  require(rinari)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
Roaming/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 1428
  load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
Roaming/.emacs" "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "\b\205\264

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-04-29 22:30   ` Marco Parrone
From: Marco Parrone @ 2011-04-29 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

flebber <flebber.crue@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
>
> I got some more info from debug init
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
> "jump")
>   require(jump)
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
> Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/eschulte-rinari-1c3460f/rinari.el" nil t)  ;
> Reading at buffer position 2593
>   load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
> Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/eschulte-rinari-1c3460f/rinari.el" "c:/Users/
> RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/addons/eschulte-rinari-1c3460f/
> rinari.el" nil t)
>   require(rinari)
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
> Roaming/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 1428
>   load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/
> Roaming/.emacs" "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" t t)

`require' for elisp is like #include for C.

You can read the detailed explanation of The function by typing

  `C-h f require RET'

The above error message was caused because a file you are loading
(rinari.el) requires the jump feature, which is expected to be provided
by the jump.el file.

For enabling `rinari.el' to find `jump.el', you can insert this code in
your ~/.emacs:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/dir/containing-jump.el/")

this code must precede the point where `rinari.el' is loaded.

--
Marco Parrone <marco@marcoparrone.com>
PGP Key fingerprint = 5E21 BED2 BF47 B3FB F17F  1DB4 D9BE B2B7 3C3A 07E2

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-04-30  4:18     ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-04-30  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 8:30 am, Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > Roaming/.emacs" "c:/Users/RenshawFamily/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" t t)
> >   load("~/.emacs" t t)
> >   #[nil " \205\264
>
> `require' for elisp is like #include for C.
>
> You can read the detailed explanation of The function by typing
>
>   `C-h f require RET'
>
> The above error message was caused because a file you are loading
> (rinari.el) requires the jump feature, which is expected to be provided
> by the jump.el file.
>
> For enabling `rinari.el' to find `jump.el', you can insert this code in
> your ~/.emacs:
>
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/dir/containing-jump.el/")
>
> this code must precede the point where `rinari.el' is loaded.
>
> --
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com>
> PGP Key fingerprint = 5E21 BED2 BF47 B3FB F17F  1DB4 D9BE B2B7 3C3A 07E2

I went back to the start and reinstall everything without the emacs
starter kit. Setup my emacs manually with cedet and ecb.

When following the cedet instructions as I am on windows 7 I cannot
make cedet and instead have to bootstrap cedet to emacs to force it to
build that way. Is the require as a result of the build as it still
fails with the cedet requires error. I guess that I could install
cygwin and then use its make environemnt to build cedet but was hoping
not to have to go there as it appears barring this minor error that
cedet bootstrapped okay.

Resolved the rinari error, the github rinari downloads are missing the
jump files. https://github.com/eschulte/rinari/commit/1c3460f3d5b0b04fe79fa395d063b82448da591b
. I found working download containing jump file on rubyforge instead.

Thanks

Sayth

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-04-30 13:07       ` Marco Parrone
From: Marco Parrone @ 2011-04-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

flebber <flebber.crue@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 30, 8:30 am, Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> wrote:
>> flebber <flebber.c...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > On Apr 29, 8:06 pm, flebber <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went back to the start and reinstall everything without the emacs
> starter kit. Setup my emacs manually with cedet and ecb.
>
> When following the cedet instructions as I am on windows 7 I cannot
> make cedet and instead have to bootstrap cedet to emacs to force it to
> build that way. Is the require as a result of the build as it still
> fails with the cedet requires error. I guess that I could install
> cygwin and then use its make environemnt to build cedet but was hoping
> not to have to go there as it appears barring this minor error that
> cedet bootstrapped okay.
>
> Resolved the rinari error, the github rinari downloads are missing the
> jump files. https://github.com/eschulte/rinari/commit/1c3460f3d5b0b04fe79fa395d063b82448da591b
> . I found working download containing jump file on rubyforge instead.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sayth

Are you using the `cedet-build.el' script?

I tried with a CVS version, doing the following steps worked without
reporting errors:

1) Open the `cedet-build.el' (which is at the top of the cedet
distribution directory) file with emacs.

2) Evaluate the content of the script:

   `M-x eval-buffer RET'

3) Start the build function:

   `M-x cedet-build-in-this-emacs RET'

4) I don't know if this happens always, anyway I received this message:

     EIEIO needs to be recompiled.  Use subprocess? (y or n)

   I answred yes and the compilation continued in another Emacs window.

5) The new Emacs session compiled all the files, there was a buffer name
   `*CEDET BYTECOMPILE*' showing the progress, and at the end it
   printed:
       Project: Tests
       Project: templates
     Building project contrib
       Project: Contrib
        Target autoloads...           done.
        Target init...                1 compiled, 0 up to date.
        Target setup...               1 compiled, 0 up to date.
        Target wy...                  done.
        Target lisp...                7 compiled, 0 up to date.

     Done.

6) Finally, making emacs to load the following lines (copied from
   the `INSTALL' file) worked without reporting any error:

     (load-file "/home/marco/src/cedet/cedet/common/cedet.el")
     (global-ede-mode 1)
     (semantic-load-enable-minimum-features)
     (semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)
     (global-srecode-minor-mode 1)

   I just copied them in the *scratch* buffer and executed them by
   moving the point to the end of each line and typing `C-x e' but they
   should be copied in the ~/.emacs file.

I actually don't know CEDET so I was not capable to test if my
installation actually works, I just tried to build and load it.

Goodbye,
Marco.

--

@ 2011-04-30 13:10         ` Marco Parrone
From: Marco Parrone @ 2011-04-30 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marco Parrone <marco@marcoparrone.com> writes:

>    moving the point to the end of each line and typing `C-x e' but they

It's not `C-x e' but `C-x C-e'

--

@ 2011-05-01  9:28           ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-05-01  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 11:10 pm, Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> wrote:
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> writes:
> >    moving the point to the end of each line and typing `C-x e' but they
>
> It's not `C-x e' but `C-x C-e'
>
> --
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com>
> PGP Key fingerprint = 5E21 BED2 BF47 B3FB F17F  1DB4 D9BE B2B7 3C3A 07E2

Okay will try your instructions I followed this guide
http://cedet.sourceforge.net/setup.shtml

 cd cedet-1.0pre6

  emacs -Q -l cedet-build.el -f cedet-build

and then adding this to my emacs.

(load-file "~/cedet-1.0pre6/common/cedet.el")
(global-ede-mode 1)                      ; Enable the Project
management system
(semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)      ; Enable prototype help and
smart completion
(global-srecode-minor-mode 1)            ; Enable template insertion
menu

Will see how yours goes.

Sayth

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-05-01  9:48           ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-05-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 11:10 pm, Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> wrote:
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> writes:
> >    moving the point to the end of each line and typing `C-x e' but they
>
> It's not `C-x e' but `C-x C-e'
>
> --
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com>
> PGP Key fingerprint = 5E21 BED2 BF47 B3FB F17F  1DB4 D9BE B2B7 3C3A 07E2

I used cedet 1.0 and your directions and it failed with the same error
going to have to use a different version and retry.

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-05-01 10:13           ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-05-01 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 11:10 pm, Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> wrote:
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> writes:
> >    moving the point to the end of each line and typing `C-x e' but they
>
> It's not `C-x e' but `C-x C-e'
>
> --
> Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com>
> PGP Key fingerprint = 5E21 BED2 BF47 B3FB F17F  1DB4 D9BE B2B7 3C3A 07E2

It appears that the answer is that absolutely none of this was
necessary. Cedet now comes standard with from emacs 23.2. After
continual failures I found the answer here.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2310857/how-to-compile-cedet-1-0pre7-compilation-for-emacs-23-1-50-on-windows

Sayth

* Re: cedet load error
@ 2011-05-01 12:38             ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2011-05-01 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 1, 8:13 pm, flebber <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 11:10 pm, Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> wrote:
>
> > Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com> writes:
> > >    moving the point to the end of each line and typing `C-x e' but they
>
> > It's not `C-x e' but `C-x C-e'
>
> > --
> > Marco Parrone <ma...@marcoparrone.com>
> > PGP Key fingerprint = 5E21 BED2 BF47 B3FB F17F  1DB4 D9BE B2B7 3C3A 07E2
>
> It appears that the answer is that absolutely none of this was
> necessary. Cedet now comes standard with from emacs 23.2. After
> continual failures I found the answer here.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2310857/how-to-compile-cedet-1-0pr...
>
> Sayth

Thank you very much Marco for all the assitance.