all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pbm backgrounds
@ 2004-07-11 16:21 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2004-07-11 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel

I noticed one of you modified one (but strangely, only one) of the MH-E
icons:

    RCS file: /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/toolbar/alias.pbm,v
    revision 1.2
    date: 2004/06/06 20:08:05;  author: jhd;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -1
    New conversions from xpm files.

I'm about to check in the latest release of MH-E. Should all of our pbm
backgrounds be white and not black? Since all of the pbm images in Emacs
(except ours) have white backgrounds, this appears to be the case. If
so, and there aren't any complaints from the other MH-E developers, I'll
attempt to convert the rest of the MH-E icons.

Could you please share the convert script? convert -background white
isn't working for me.

* Re: pbm backgrounds
@ 2004-07-11 17:47 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-07-11 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel Devel

2004-07-11 kl. 18.21 skrev Bill Wohler:

> I noticed one of you modified one (but strangely, only one) of the MH-E
> icons:

That was a mistake, I intended to convert the GNOME icons only.  Sorry.

> I'm about to check in the latest release of MH-E. Should all of our pbm
> backgrounds be white and not black? Since all of the pbm images in
> Emacs
> (except ours) have white backgrounds, this appears to be the case. If
> so, and there aren't any complaints from the other MH-E developers,
> I'll
> attempt to convert the rest of the MH-E icons.
>
> Could you please share the convert script? convert -background white
> isn't working for me.

I only converted to what I thought looked the best, I don't think there
is
a policy on this.  However, it would be nice if the icons where
consistent.
I did the conversion manually in GIMP, by turning off dithering when
setting a B&W palette.

	Jan D.

* Re: pbm backgrounds
@ 2004-07-11 18:13   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2004-07-11 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel Devel

Jan D. <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:

> 2004-07-11 kl. 18.21 skrev Bill Wohler:
>
> > I noticed one of you modified one (but strangely, only one) of the MH-E
> > icons:
>
> That was a mistake, I intended to convert the GNOME icons only.  Sorry.

No problem.

> I only converted to what I thought looked the best, I don't think
> there is
> a policy on this.  However, it would be nice if the icons where
> consistent.

Agreed, which is why I'll update the MH-E icons unless there is an
objection.

> I did the conversion manually in GIMP, by turning off dithering when
> setting a B&W palette.

I'm not familiar with this part of the GIMP (although I've used other
aspects of it). Would you be kind enough to go through the steps and
explicitly indicate the menu items and dialog settings you used. I
assume you started with the .xpm files? Thanks!

* Re: pbm backgrounds
@ 2004-07-11 19:08     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-07-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel Devel

>> I did the conversion manually in GIMP, by turning off dithering when
>> setting a B&W palette.
>
> I'm not familiar with this part of the GIMP (although I've used other
> aspects of it). Would you be kind enough to go through the steps and
> explicitly indicate the menu items and dialog settings you used. I
> assume you started with the .xpm files? Thanks!

This refers to GIMP 2.  I think the menus have changed since 1.x, so
if you have that, you may have to look around a bit.

Open the xpm-file in GIMP.
Select: Image => Mode => Indexed
In the popup, select:
    Use Black and White (1-Bit) Palette
    No Color Dithering
Select Save As and save as *.xbm.  Just click OK on the dialog that
pops up (no XBM options choosen).
Use xbmtopbm to convert to pbm.

I actually saved as *.pnm and used xv, since I didn't have xbmtopbm on
the
machine I was on at the time.  The results are identical though.

	Jan D.

* Re: pbm backgrounds
@ 2004-07-11 19:45       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2004-07-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel Devel

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using 1.x, but the menus were the
same. I also had xbmtopbm. All worked as advertised. I'll go ahead and
update all of the MH-E icons to be consistent with the GNOME icons.

Thanks again for the help.