all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs configure does not find giflib on Max OS X
@ 2014-11-13 15:57 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2014-11-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

The current git tip of the emacs source tree does not find graphics libs
installed using `brew` (and never did, so this is not a regression):

    $ brew install jpeg giflib libpng libtiff
    Warning: jpeg-8d already installed
    Warning: giflib-4.1.6 already installed
    Warning: libpng-1.6.13 already installed
    Warning: libtiff-4.0.3 already installed
    $ ./configure --with-ns --with-png --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
      Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
      Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
      Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
      Does Emacs use a png library?                           no

What am I doing wrong?

thanks

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://honestreporting.com

* Re: Emacs configure does not find giflib on Max OS X
@ 2014-11-13 16:07 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2014-11-13 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sds, emacs-devel

Sam Steingold skrev den 2014-11-13 16:57:
> Hi
>
> The current git tip of the emacs source tree does not find graphics libs
> installed using `brew` (and never did, so this is not a regression):
>
>      $ brew install jpeg giflib libpng libtiff
>      Warning: jpeg-8d already installed
>      Warning: giflib-4.1.6 already installed
>      Warning: libpng-1.6.13 already installed
>      Warning: libtiff-4.0.3 already installed
>      $ ./configure --with-ns --with-png --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
>        Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>        Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>        Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
>        Does Emacs use a png library?                           no
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Mixing NS and non-NS libs?  --with-ns does not use any of those graphics
libraries.  It uses Gnustep/Cocoa graphics instead.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs configure does not find giflib on Max OS X
@ 2014-11-13 18:47   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2014-11-13 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

> * Jan D. <wna.u.q@fjvcarg.fr> [2014-11-13 17:07:42 +0100]:
>
> Sam Steingold skrev den 2014-11-13 16:57:
>>
>> The current git tip of the emacs source tree does not find graphics libs
>> installed using `brew` (and never did, so this is not a regression):
>>
>>      $ brew install jpeg giflib libpng libtiff
>>      Warning: jpeg-8d already installed
>>      Warning: giflib-4.1.6 already installed
>>      Warning: libpng-1.6.13 already installed
>>      Warning: libtiff-4.0.3 already installed
>>      $ ./configure --with-ns --with-png --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
>>        Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>>        Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>>        Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
>>        Does Emacs use a png library?                           no
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Mixing NS and non-NS libs?  --with-ns does not use any of those graphics
> libraries.  It uses Gnustep/Cocoa graphics instead.

IOW, NS build can read graphics files without those libraries, right?
Thanks.

PS. I wish it were documented in "configure --help"

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://honestreporting.com http://think-israel.org