all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-30 17:54 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-10-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It is not reflected in the review7 repository, but I have just updated the
conversion machinery to check a map of bzr revisions to committer/date
stamps into /etc on each full conversion.

This will support Emacs Lisp code (not yet written) to find a bzr
revision number around point and check out the corresponding git
revision.

This data file will be in review8.  The code is on my to-do list.

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as
the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral
check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally,
even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist
and triumph over them."
        -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-31 18:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-31 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It is not reflected in the review7 repository, but I have just updated the
> conversion machinery to check a map of bzr revisions to committer/date
> stamps into /etc on each full conversion.

> This will support Emacs Lisp code (not yet written) to find a bzr
> revision number around point and check out the corresponding git
> revision.

Thanks for the idea, bu don't bother, please, it's not worth the effort,
nor the corresponding disk space.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-31 19:52   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-10-31 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
> > It is not reflected in the review7 repository, but I have just updated the
> > conversion machinery to check a map of bzr revisions to committer/date
> > stamps into /etc on each full conversion.
>
> > This will support Emacs Lisp code (not yet written) to find a bzr
> > revision number around point and check out the corresponding git
> > revision.
>
> Thanks for the idea, bu don't bother, please, it's not worth the effort,
> nor the corresponding disk space.

Oh?  I'm not attached to the idea, but I thought it was on my list of
requirements.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-31 20:07     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-31 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Oh?  I'm not attached to the idea, but I thought it was on my list of
> requirements.

It might be good for this map to exist somewhere, but I don't think it's
useful enough to have it in Emacs's repository.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-31 20:08     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-31 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Oh?  I'm not attached to the idea, but I thought it was on my list of
> requirements.

E.g. I can't remember the last time I had to look up a revision by revno.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-31 20:11       ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-10-31 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
> > Oh?  I'm not attached to the idea, but I thought it was on my list of
> > requirements.
>
> It might be good for this map to exist somewhere, but I don't think it's
> useful enough to have it in Emacs's repository.

OK. Do you have a suggestion as to wher it should be archived?

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-10-31 21:25       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-31 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: esr, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:08:57 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Oh?  I'm not attached to the idea, but I thought it was on my list of
> > requirements.
>
> E.g. I can't remember the last time I had to look up a revision by revno.

The bug tracker is full of them (as in "fixed in rXYZZY on the
trunk").

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01  3:06         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-01  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: esr, emacs-devel

>> > Oh?  I'm not attached to the idea, but I thought it was on my list of
>> > requirements.
>> E.g. I can't remember the last time I had to look up a revision by revno.
> The bug tracker is full of them (as in "fixed in rXYZZY on the
> trunk").

Of course, I see revno used on a regular basis.  But I've very rarely
had to look them up.  And I basically never use them myself.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01  8:20           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-01  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: esr, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: esr@thyrsus.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 23:06:25 -0400
>
> >> E.g. I can't remember the last time I had to look up a revision by revno.
> > The bug tracker is full of them (as in "fixed in rXYZZY on the
> > trunk").
>
> Of course, I see revno used on a regular basis.  But I've very rarely
> had to look them up.  And I basically never use them myself.

My point is that someone who does need to look up what exactly were
the changes referenced on the bug tracker, might find the revision map
useful.  That someone doesn't have to be called Stefan Monnier,
obviously.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01  9:43 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-11-01  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Stefan Monnier

>> > The bug tracker is full of them (as in "fixed in rXYZZY on the
>> > trunk").
>>
>> Of course, I see revno used on a regular basis.  But I've very rarely
>> had to look them up.  And I basically never use them myself.
>
> My point is that someone who does need to look up what exactly were
> the changes referenced on the bug tracker, might find the revision map
> useful.  That someone doesn't have to be called Stefan Monnier,
> obviously.

Out of curiosity, how we can do a binary search without a progressive
revision number?

In the past, just this list suggested me to do a binary search to find
when a bug or a regression was introduced...

Thanks,
  Angelo.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01 10:04 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-11-01 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi writes:

> Out of curiosity, how we can do a binary search without a progressive
> revision number?
>
> In the past, just this list suggested me to do a binary search to find
> when a bug or a regression was introduced...

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect.html

Alexis.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01 10:10 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-11-01 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> Out of curiosity, how we can do a binary search without a progressive
> revision number?
>
> In the past, just this list suggested me to do a binary search to find
> when a bug or a regression was introduced...

Just continue to do it and use git bisect.  No need for manual counting.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01 10:14   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-01 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 21:04:12 +1100
>
> Angelo Graziosi writes:
>
> > Out of curiosity, how we can do a binary search without a progressive
> > revision number?
> >
> > In the past, just this list suggested me to do a binary search to find
> > when a bug or a regression was introduced...
>
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect.html

Indeed, and bzr also has the bisect command, so manual binary search
is not needed.

* Re: The bzr revision map
@ 2014-11-01 10:20   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-11-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs developers

Il 01/11/2014 11:10, Andreas Schwab ha scritto:
> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:
>
>> Out of curiosity, how we can do a binary search without a progressive
>> revision number?
>>
>> In the past, just this list suggested me to do a binary search to find
>> when a bug or a regression was introduced...
>
> Just continue to do it and use git bisect.  No need for manual counting.

Oh, I didn't know about it... thanks.

Ciao,
Angelo.