On 10/26/14 5:07 PM, esr@thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) wrote: > lisp/version.el: The bzr-specific code for version extraction will be > obsolete. The git-specific code is very broken. Among other > problems, in my stock Ubuntu environment the git log command it > generates always fails, apparently because it can't find terminal > capabilities it wants. From version.el: (call-process "git" nil '(t nil) nil "log" "-1" "--pretty=format:%N") This looks wrong to me. %N is the commit's note from "git notes". Perhaps this should be %H, to get the commit hash? And if so, I think the better way is with "git show-ref", as it's a plumbing command where "git log" is not (git log likes to redirect stuff through your $PAGER, etc). git show-ref -s --head ^HEAD -David