all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-09  1:43 Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

sometimes when I copy text from other application. and I want to yank
them into some file. so I press ^X^F to open the file, but emacs give
me a default path which I dont want, so I press ^A to goto the head of
this line, and press ^K to delete it, you know,then, when I press ^Y
,what I got is the path string ,not what I really want to paste.

so, how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?

thanks a lot.

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-09  1:55 ` maddog
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: maddog @ 2004-09-09  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokia@mail.org> writes:

> sometimes when I copy text from other application. and I want to yank
> them into some file. so I press ^X^F to open the file, but emacs give
> me a default path which I dont want, so I press ^A to goto the head of
> this line, and press ^K to delete it, you know,then, when I press ^Y
> ,what I got is the path string ,not what I really want to paste.
>
> so, how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
>
> thanks a lot.

why not do paste before your C-k?

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-09  2:17 ` emacs Fan
       [not found] ` <mailman.2061.1094696629.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: emacs Fan @ 2004-09-09  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rokia,

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:43:44 +0800, Rokia <rokia@mail.org> wrote:

> sometimes when I copy text from other application. and I want to yank
> them into some file. so I press ^X^F to open the file, but emacs give
> me a default path which I dont want, so I press ^A to goto the head of
> this line, and press ^K to delete it, you know,then, when I press ^Y
> ,what I got is the path string ,not what I really want to paste.

At that time which you paste a path string, then press M-y to excute a
pop up yank.

And I think you'd better to read the info before you ask so much
question, there are many useful information you need.

Emacs Fan.

@ 2004-09-09  2:42   ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

hehe. thanks for your answer and advice.

I am reading info these days, but it is too much for my poor memory. I
often forget it when I need it even I have read it before.

sorry. :(

@ 2004-09-09  3:03   ` Rokia
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2064.1094701218.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

sorry, I said that I copy the text from other application.

and in this situation, I cant yank it using M-Y  :(

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-09  3:34     ` emacs Fan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2064.1094701218.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: emacs Fan @ 2004-09-09  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia,

> sorry, I said that I copy the text from other application.
> and in this situation, I cant yank it using M-Y  :(

I think there many ways to solve your problem.
1. yank the text from other application, undo it, kill your path line,
pop up yank.

2. delete rectangle by C-x, r,d,  then the path will not be put into yank ring

3. write a lisp function to delete the path line, not kill it.

emacs fan

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2061.1094696629.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-09  4:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2075.1094704580.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-09-09  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Rokia <Rokia@mail.org>
> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:43:44 +0800
>
> sometimes when I copy text from other application. and I want to yank
> them into some file. so I press ^X^F to open the file, but emacs give
> me a default path which I dont want, so I press ^A to goto the head of
> this line, and press ^K to delete it, you know,then, when I press ^Y
> ,what I got is the path string ,not what I really want to paste.
>
> so, how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?

Either use DEL to delete the old path, or open the file first and copy
from the other application after the file is already open.

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-09  4:30   ` emacs Fan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2075.1094704580.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: emacs Fan @ 2004-09-09  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Either use DEL to delete the old path, or open the file first and copy
> from the other application after the file is already open.

Yes, there is even a more convenient  way, I think.
After presss C-x, C-f, just ignore the default path.
At the end of the default path, input your path(~/path or complete
path), it is also ok.

@ 2004-09-09  6:08       ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

bingo!

the second one is what I really want!

thank you again and again.

@ 2004-09-09  6:10     ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

bravo!

it really works! thank you :D

@ 2004-09-09 20:28       ` Ole Laursen
From: Ole Laursen @ 2004-09-09 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

emacs Fan <emacsNT@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> 3. write a lisp function to delete the path line, not kill it.

Here's one. Just put in your Emacs file and bind it to some key with
something alongs:

  (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'delete-line)

;; for some reason Emacs lacks delete-line, implementing it with the
;; source from kill-line is, however, trivial
(defun delete-line (&optional arg)
  "Delete the rest of the current line; if no nonblanks there, delete
thru newline. With prefix argument, delete that many lines from point.
Negative arguments delete lines backward.

When calling from a program, nil means \"no arg\", a number counts as
a prefix arg.

To delete a whole line, when point is not at the beginning, type \
\\[beginning-of-line] \\[delete-line] \\[delete-line].

If `kill-whole-line' is non-nil, then this command deletes the whole line
including its terminating newline, when used at the beginning of a line
with no argument.  As a consequence, you can always delete a whole line
by typing \\[beginning-of-line] \\[delete-line]."
  (interactive "P")
  (delete-region (point)
	       ;; It is better to move point to the other end of the
	       ;; delete before deleting. That way, in a read-only
	       ;; buffer, point moves across the text that is to be
	       ;; delete. The choice has no effect on undo now that
	       ;; undo records the value of point from before the
	       ;; command was run.
	       (progn
		 (if arg
		     (forward-visible-line (prefix-numeric-value arg))
		   (if (eobp)
		       (signal 'end-of-buffer nil))
		   (if (or (looking-at "[ \t]*$") (and kill-whole-line (bolp)))
		       (forward-visible-line 1)
		     (end-of-visible-line)))
		 (point))))

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-10  8:54         ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-10  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

:(

I add this:   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'delete-line)

when I press "C-c d" , I got this prompt:

Symbol's defination is void :delete-line

what's wrong. need I install some additional library?

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-10 13:04           ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-09-10 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

You need to cut and paste the defun for delete-line into your .emacs file.

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-10 14:51           ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-09-10 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokia@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> writes:

> I add this:   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'delete-line)
>
> when I press "C-c d" , I got this prompt:
>
> Symbol's defination is void :delete-line
>
> what's wrong. need I install some additional library?

Yes, probably. delete-line is not in a standard Emacs
install. At least not in mine (21.3).

Try this:

1. Put cursor somewhere on a line
2. C-x (
3. C-a
4. C-k
5. C-x )

Now you have recorded a macro that you can give a name:

6. M-x name-last-kbd-macro RET my-kill-line RET

Insert the macro definition in your .emacs file by opening
.emacs and going to the end of the buffer:

7. insert-kbd-macro RET my-kill-line RET

Bind the new macro using the method you tried before.

/Mathias

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-10 15:06         ` emacs Fan
From: emacs Fan @ 2004-09-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:28:27 +0200, Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> wrote:
> > 3. write a lisp function to delete the path line, not kill it.
>
> Here's one. Just put in your Emacs file and bind it to some key with
> something alongs:
>
>  (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'delete-line)
>  (interactive "P")
>  (delete-region (point)
>               (progn
>                 (if arg
>                     (forward-visible-line (prefix-numeric-value arg))
>                   (if (eobp)
>                       (signal 'end-of-buffer nil))
>                   (if (or (looking-at "[ \t]*$") (and kill-whole-line (bolp)))
>                       (forward-visible-line 1)
>                     (end-of-visible-line)))
>                 (point))))
>
> --
> Ole Laursen
> http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/

It works.
Thanks, you really did it.

* Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
@ 2004-09-10 15:14           ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-09-10 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokia@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> writes:

>:(
>
>I add this:   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'delete-line)
>
>when I press "C-c d" , I got this prompt:
>
>Symbol's defination is void :delete-line
>
>what's wrong. need I install some additional library?

Perhaps you should read the rest of Ole's reply to your original
question, in which he has taken the time to implement the delete-line
function for you, and told you to paste it into your .emacs.

If you can't take the trouble to do anything yourself, you're going to
quickly burn through much of the goodwill available on this group.

--
Mike Slass