On 9/30/14 9:00 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: > I liked Ted's suggestion about providing modeline indicators. > However, a lot of HCI research shows that users don't notice such > indicators and often misinterpret them. While Emacs users are > generally more aware of such indicators and of their correct > interpretation, I think something like the "novice" feature to provide > an easily disabled "in your face" warning about unencrypted channels > should be considered. Modern POP/IMAP clients tend to have a checkbox or a setting to require SSL/TLS when connecting. If the protocol doesn't start TLS (and isn't connected to an SSL port) then it is considered a connection error. This setting is configured up-front, at the same time that the user configures the server name and port. In this day and age it might make sense to have such a checkbox default to "on". -David