all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk
@ 2009-06-13  7:52 hjuvi
From: hjuvi @ 2009-06-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Changing from emacs21 to emacs22-gtk (on Ubuntu desktop), I'm no
longer able to have window-size-fixed work properly - or at least how
I expect it to work :)

I've been using it to have a window with fixed size in the middle of
the frame.

On emacs21, I can change the size of other windows, this particular
one moves up and down but always keep the same height. This is how I
expect it to work...

On emacs22-gtk, if I drag from the upper side (mode-line) of the
window, it enlarges (which should not happen). If I drag from the
lower side of the window, it doesn't move at all !...

Why is the behaviour different between emacs21 and emacs22-gtk ?
The behaviour on emacs21 matches with my needs (and with the idea of
window-size-fixed, I believe), whereas I cannot get it work properly
on emacs22-gtk.

Below is some lisp code to show the problem : you can put it in a file
test.el, and call : emacs -q -l test.el

(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(split-window-vertically)
(split-window-vertically)
(split-window-horizontally)
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer1"))
(select-window (next-window))
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer2"))
(select-window (next-window))
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer3"))
(select-window (next-window))
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer4"))
(select-window (previous-window))
(enlarge-window (- 5 (window-height)))
(setq window-size-fixed t)

"buffer3" window is supposed to have fixed size.

Thanks to anyone who can help me...

If the behaviour of window-size-fixed is unpredictable - depending on
which version of emacs I use - I will have to remove the feature that
need it, so I hope there is a solution...

* Re: window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk
@ 2009-06-22  8:29 ` hjuvi
From: hjuvi @ 2009-06-22  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Really no idea for that ?
I cannot find out whether it is a bug in emacs, or I misuse window-
fixed-size feature.

Thanks.

* Re: window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk
@ 2009-06-22 13:07 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-06-22 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: hjuvi-google; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I cannot find out whether it is a bug in emacs, or I misuse window-
 > fixed-size feature.

Both problems were probably caused by the introduction of the function
`adjust-window-trailing-edge'.  The fact that you can drag the upper
mode-line is a clear bug because it allows to resize a fixed-size
window.  Please make a bug report to make sure that this issue gets
fixed for Emacs 23.2 (it might take some time, so don't hold your
breath).  Alas, the only possible fix I can think of currently is that
you won't be allowed to drag that mode-line either.

The fact that you cannot move an entire window up or down is very
regrettable but I'm afraid that fixing that might be very difficult.
Note that with Emacs 21 you were able to have three resizable windows
above each other and enlarge the lowest one (dragging the mode-line
above it) by shrinking the uppermost one.  This is unfortunately no
longer possible with Emacs 22 (you can only resize the window in the
middle) and has the same cause as the problem you describe.

I'm still not sure what problem `adjust-window-trailing-edge' was trying
to resolve but suppose that writing that function threw out the child
with the bathwater.  Maybe you can trigger a discussion about this after
making the bug report so please make sure to file one.

Thanks in advance, martin.

* Re: window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk
       [not found] <mailman.1077.1245676035.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-23 14:45 ` hjuvi
From: hjuvi @ 2009-06-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin, thanks a lot for your help.

I will report a bug with all the details, and let you know when it's
done.

* Re: window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk
@ 2009-06-27  8:06   ` hjuvi
From: hjuvi @ 2009-06-27  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The bug has been reported here :