all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Default face - font questions.
@ 2014-08-14  1:01 Alexandros Prekates
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2014-08-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In emacswiki (1) i read:

To change the default font for new (non special-display) frames, put
either of these in your init file
<http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InitFile#init_file>:

    |(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . | /|FONT|/ |))|

    |(set-face-attribute 'default t :font | /|FONT|/ |))|

To change the default font for the current frame, as well as future
frames, put either of these in your init file:

    |(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font | /|FONT|/ |))|

    |(set-frame-font | /|FONT|/ |nil t)|

I understand how when we are in the middle of an emacs session it'd help
to have an option to change the
font only of the future-new frames.

|But i dont understand the difference of using the 't', or 'nil' option
in an .init file when starting a new emacs session . Doesnt it hold than
in that case all frames are newone making 't' superfluous in .init file?

|aprekates

(1) http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts

* RE: Default face - font questions.
@ 2014-08-14 14:30 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-08-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alexandros Prekates, help-gnu-emacs

> To change the default font for new (non special-display) frames...
>
>   (set-face-attribute 'default t   :font FONT)
>
> To change the default font for the current frame, as well as future
> frames...
>
>   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font FONT)
>
> I understand how when we are in the middle of an emacs session it'd help
> to have an option to change the font only of the future-new frames.
>
> But i dont understand the difference of using the 't', or 'nil' option
> in an .init file when starting a new emacs session . Doesnt it hold than
> in that case all frames are newone making 't' superfluous in .init file?

You understand correctly. You should not notice any difference between `nil' and `t' as the value of parameter FRAME, when you use `set-face-attribute' in your init file.

(P.S. Your mailer quotes things weirdly - lots of extraneous `|' and `\|' here and there.)

* Re: Default face - font questions.
@ 2014-08-14 14:46   ` Alexandros Prekates
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2014-08-14 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the affirmation!

I'm an occasional emacs user but every time i come back to use it i
found some aspect that buffles me a littile. This time it was the
font-face relation.

I was reading the emacswiki page i mentioned in my previous email trying
to figure things out.

ps: for the extroneous characters . i use thuderbird , maybe its the
copy paste from emacswiki that wasnt done neatle?