all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dead-acute not defined  (emacs 24.3.1)
@ 2014-08-03 14:01 Alexandros Prekates
       [not found] ` <mailman.6523.1407097186.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2014-08-03 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Version:Emacs 24.3.1. (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
OS: Kubuntu 14.04

I coulnd put greek diacritics (tonos) in greek letters (eg: ? , ? etc)

I press the dead key for the diacritic and when i press the letter i get
the message:
<dead-acute> ? is undefined.

After hours of searching and trials i found that
echo $XMODIFIERS
@im=ibus

was causing the issue and setting that var empty helped diacritics work
again!.

So should i be worried about changing that value in messing with emacs
in other ways?

Thanks

* Re: Dead-acute not defined  (emacs 24.3.1)
@ 2014-08-03 15:12 ` Alexandros Prekates
       [not found] ` <mailman.6523.1407097186.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2014-08-03 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 03/08/2014 05:01 ??, Alexandros Prekates wrote:
> Version:Emacs 24.3.1. (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
> OS: Kubuntu 14.04
>

> I coulnd put greek diacritics (tonos) in greek letters (eg: ? , ? etc)
>
> I press the dead key for the diacritic and when i press the letter i
> get the message:
> <dead-acute> ? is undefined.
>
> After hours of searching and trials i found that
> echo $XMODIFIERS
> @im=ibus
>
> was causing the issue and setting that var empty helped diacritics
> work again!.
>
> So should i be worried about changing that value in messing with emacs
> in other ways?
>
> Thanks

Two related  bug report links
Dead keys in emacs with ibus
(http://askubuntu.com/questions/364292/dead-keys-in-emacs-with-ibus)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/emacs24/+bug/493766

Alexandros

@ 2014-08-03 20:44   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@openmailbox.org> writes:

> Two related bug report links Dead keys in emacs with
> ibus
> (http://askubuntu.com/questions/364292/dead-keys-in-emacs-with-ibus)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/emacs24/+bug/493766

Does it work without the IBus?

What's IBus? I just read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Input_Bus

but I still don't understand the reason for it.

On my Debian, as for X, in

/etc/default/keyboard

I have

XKBLAYOUT="us"

Can't you set it to "gr"? Then, probably assign some
shortcut to switch back and from "us" which you
probably need for programming or is situations like
this.

Or has Ubuntu switched to Mir (dropping X) for good?
Didn't Kubuntu stick with X? Or do they use Wayland?

If that's the reason, that's crazy... Switch to new
stuff so things that have worked for ages suddenly
won't. Go figure.

--
underground experts united