all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
@ 2014-07-03 22:15 Robert Parlett
From: Robert Parlett @ 2014-07-03 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17926

When I click on a menu - say the Options menu, then cursor down to a
sub-menu - say "Line wrapping in this buffer" - then when the pointer
reaches the sub-item, its menu doesn't open.  I then have to move the
mouse slightly, and only then does the menu open. Further, tooltips in a
menu sometimes don't appear correctly at first.   They appear clipped
and incomplete, but a further mouse move makes them redraw correctly.

All other GTK apps work normally.

I have created a youtube video which illustrates the above :-
http://youtu.be/Ix1vO3T84ZI

This affects version 24.3.1, installed in ubuntu 14.04, both on 32 and
64 bit installations.  I also downloaded the source, also version
24.3.1, and compiled that, with the same results.

A workaround is to configure with "--with-x-toolkit=athena".  This
toolkit's menus don't suffer from the same problems, and work fine.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
  of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'

'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
  'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<f1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
(source)...done
(source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/regexp-opt hides
/home/rparlett/emacsinit/regexp-opt

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load
wid-edit warnings server apropos objecticon-setup cl cl-lib time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

* bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
@ 2014-07-04 11:07 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2014-07-04 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Parlett, 17926

2014-07-04 00:15, Robert Parlett skrev:
> When I click on a menu - say the Options menu, then cursor down to a sub-menu
> - say "Line wrapping in this buffer" - then when the pointer reaches the
> sub-item, its menu doesn't open.  I then have to move the mouse slightly, and
> only then does the menu open.

I tried this on Ubuntu 14.04, with emacs 24.4 candidate and emacs trunk.  They
don't exhibit the problem you describe, sub menus are opened at once.

> Further, tooltips in a menu sometimes don't
> appear correctly at first.   They appear clipped and incomplete, but a further
> mouse move makes them redraw correctly.

I can't reproduce this either.  In the future, please refrain from reporting
two problems in one bug report, make two separate bug reports instead.

Did you starte emacs with -Q?  You do not seem to run vanilla Ubuntu, but
rather have another theme/window manager.  Please give the details of that
(i.e. desktop environment, theme, window manager).

	Jan D.

@ 2014-07-04 11:53   ` Robert Parlett
From: Robert Parlett @ 2014-07-04 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv, 17926

On 04/07/14 12:07, Jan Djärv wrote:
> 2014-07-04 00:15, Robert Parlett skrev:
>> When I click on a menu - say the Options menu, then cursor down to a
>> sub-menu
>> - say "Line wrapping in this buffer" - then when the pointer reaches the
>> sub-item, its menu doesn't open.  I then have to move the mouse
>> slightly, and
>> only then does the menu open.
>
> I tried this on Ubuntu 14.04, with emacs 24.4 candidate and emacs
> trunk.  They don't exhibit the problem you describe, sub menus are
> opened at once.
>

>> Further, tooltips in a menu sometimes don't
>> appear correctly at first.   They appear clipped and incomplete, but
>> a further
>> mouse move makes them redraw correctly.
>
> I can't reproduce this either.  In the future, please refrain from
> reporting two problems in one bug report, make two separate bug
> reports instead.
>
> Did you starte emacs with -Q?  You do not seem to run vanilla Ubuntu,
> but rather have another theme/window manager.  Please give the details
> of that (i.e. desktop environment, theme, window manager).

No I didn't try emacs with -Q.  Now that I try that I see that the
problem is somewhat masked by the blinking cursor.  Normally, I don't
have a blinking cursor - I have (blink-cursor-mode 0) in my init file.
When starting with -Q, then the cursor blinks, and the redrawing of the
blinking cursor obviously also causes the missing menus and half-drawn
tooltips to be redrawn.  So with -Q, I just see a short - but still
perceivable - delay before the menus/tooltips are drawn correctly.  If I
then enter (blink-cursor-mode 0) in the scratch buffer, then I see the
bug as described originally.

So please try with (blink-cursor-mode 0) and hopefully you will be able
to reproduce the bug.

I take your point about filing two separate bugs in one report, but the
missing menu and missing tooltip appear (at least so far as I can see)
to relate to the same underlying problem, namely a failure to redraw the
screen correctly.

Regarding the window manager, it is fvwm.  However, I have just tried
running emacs in Xephyr, without any window manager at all, and the
problem still occurs.

* bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
@ 2014-07-04 15:25     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2014-07-04 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Parlett, 17926

2014-07-04 13:53, Robert Parlett skrev:

> No I didn't try emacs with -Q.  Now that I try that I see that the problem is
> somewhat masked by the blinking cursor.  Normally, I don't have a blinking
> cursor - I have (blink-cursor-mode 0) in my init file. When starting with -Q,
> then the cursor blinks, and the redrawing of the blinking cursor obviously
> also causes the missing menus and half-drawn tooltips to be redrawn.  So with
> -Q, I just see a short - but still perceivable - delay before the
> menus/tooltips are drawn correctly.  If I then enter (blink-cursor-mode 0) in
> the scratch buffer, then I see the bug as described originally.

Still don't see it, sorry.  The delay is a Gtk+ feature.

> So please try with (blink-cursor-mode 0) and hopefully you will be able to
> reproduce the bug.
>
> I take your point about filing two separate bugs in one report, but the
> missing menu and missing tooltip appear (at least so far as I can see) to
> relate to the same underlying problem, namely a failure to redraw the screen
> correctly.
>
> Regarding the window manager, it is fvwm.  However, I have just tried running
> emacs in Xephyr, without any window manager at all, and the problem still occurs.

Gtk+ does not work well without any window manager.  Please try Ubuntus
default setup, i.e. Unity, and see if it makes any difference.
If you can, try the emacs-24 branch from here:

bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24

	Jan D.

* bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
@ 2014-07-04 16:49       ` Robert Parlett
From: Robert Parlett @ 2014-07-04 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv, 17926

On 04/07/14 16:25, Jan Djärv wrote:

> Gtk+ does not work well without any window manager.  Please try
> Ubuntus default setup, i.e. Unity, and see if it makes any difference.
> If you can, try the emacs-24 branch from here:
>
> bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24

Well I tried this on another machine with the Unity desktop, using a new
user account.  The result is that I can still see the menu problem, but
not the tooltip problem.  In fact the tooltips look quite different on
Unity, and are using transparency effects, so perhaps that is why.
Another slight difference - if I leave the pointer stationary over the
menu item, then after 3 or 4 seconds the sub-menu finally appears - with
fvwm/no window manager this does not happen, and the menu remains absent
until the mouse is moved.

Anyway, here is another video to show the menu problem under Unity :-
http://youtu.be/e1s2RXsqJo0

* bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
@ 2014-07-11 16:48         ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2014-07-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Parlett, 17926-done

2014-07-04 18:49, Robert Parlett skrev:
> Well I tried this on another machine with the Unity desktop, using a new user
> account.  The result is that I can still see the menu problem, but not the
> tooltip problem.  In fact the tooltips look quite different on Unity, and are
> using transparency effects, so perhaps that is why. Another slight difference
> - if I leave the pointer stationary over the menu item, then after 3 or 4
> seconds the sub-menu finally appears - with fvwm/no window manager this does
> not happen, and the menu remains absent until the mouse is moved.
>
> Anyway, here is another video to show the menu problem under Unity :-
> http://youtu.be/e1s2RXsqJo0

I can't reproduce this on the 24 branch or on trunk, even tried with fvwm.  So
whatever it was, it is gone now.

	Jan D.