all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU Emacs manual in plain text
@ 2014-06-09 11:57 Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2014-06-09 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi guys,

the GNU Emacs Manual is not available in compressed plain text any
longer.

I am looking for the plain text version because I would like to read
it in Enriched Mode, and highlight passages and add notes.

I have failed to convert the HTML version to plain text with both the
`html2text' Emacs command and two external utilities.  Maybe I could
try with either the Texinfo or the Info version?  If so then how?

Thank you.

* Re: GNU Emacs manual in plain text
@ 2014-06-09 12:52 ` kastian
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: kastian @ 2014-06-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffaele Ricciardi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 01:57:49PM +0200, Raffaele Ricciardi wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> the GNU Emacs Manual is not available in compressed plain text any
> longer.
>
> I am looking for the plain text version because I would like to read
> it in Enriched Mode, and highlight passages and add notes.

Hello!
w3m -dump -T 'text/html' hmtl-file > text-file
Or smth like with another text-based browser like lynx, links etc?

@ 2014-06-09 14:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3286.1402317849.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.3291.1402325112.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:57:49 +0200
>
> I have failed to convert the HTML version to plain text with both the
> `html2text' Emacs command and two external utilities.  Maybe I could
> try with either the Texinfo or the Info version?  If so then how?

You can create a plain text version from the Texinfo sources by
running 'makeinfo' with the --plaintext option.

@ 2014-06-11  0:14   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-06-11  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kastian@mail.ru writes:

> w3m -dump -T 'text/html' hmtl-file > text-file

You can also use Emacs-w3m for this. Navigate to the
URL, then `C-x w' (write-file) and save it to, say,
page.txt. Check what kind of file it is with 'file'. If
it says it is UTF-8 or whatever, you can use 'recode -f
ascii page.txt'. (-f will drop things that cannot be
recoded.)

Emacs-w3m and recode has to be aptituded from the
repositories.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: GNU Emacs manual in plain text
@ 2014-06-11  0:38     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-06-11  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You can also use Emacs-w3m for this. Navigate to the
> URL, then `C-x w' (write-file) and save it to, say,
> page.txt. Check what kind of file it is with
> 'file'. If it says it is UTF-8 or whatever, you can
> use 'recode -f ascii page.txt'. (-f will drop things
> that cannot be recoded.)
>
> Emacs-w3m and recode has to be aptituded from the
> repositories.

Oh, I forgot to mention, 'fold' is useful to change the
length of the lines - 55 chars is perhaps a good digit
- remember, it shouldn't be too wide - just think of
newspaper and magazine articles which typically have
something like three columns for a split A3 - all to
increase readability. (Though to get the max of it, I
think you have to write in a certain way as well...)
Anyway:

fold -s -w 55 old_file.txt > new_file.txt

-w (--width) is to set the desired length (in chars)

-s (--spaces) is to tell fold to break lines at spaces

This would be the last step before

lpr -P $LPDEST page.txt

and then you get to do the absolutely best part: to
read it :)

--

@ 2014-06-14 18:40   ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2014-06-14 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 09/06/14 16:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:57:49 +0200
>>
>> I have failed to convert the HTML version to plain text with both the
>> `html2text' Emacs command and two external utilities.  Maybe I could
>> try with either the Texinfo or the Info version?  If so then how?
>
> You can create a plain text version from the Texinfo sources by
> running 'makeinfo' with the --plaintext option.

Perfect.  This way, the resulting text document looks the closest to
what plain-text versions of the manual looked in the past.  Thanks.