On 05/24/2014 05:38 AM, Ken Brown wrote: > On 5/19/2014 3:25 PM, Ken Brown wrote: >> On 5/19/2014 12:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >>> I guess it's OK for the branch, thanks. But it strikes me that simply >>> replacing the car of dpyinfo->name_list_element by something like >>> "!!!DELETED DISPLAY!!!", or even just an empty string, would serve the >>> same purpose, and save us the nuisance of an additional list in >>> cygw32_display_name_list. After all, all you need is to mark a >>> display deleted without actually deleting it, right? IOW, the main >>> problem is in x_delete_display, and all the rest is just the overhead >>> you needed to fix that, correct? >> >> I think that's correct, and I agree that there should be a much simpler >> fix. I'll have to look into the code and try to understand better >> exactly what happens when emacs is started as a daemon and then a client >> frame is opened and closed. > > My guess as to the cause of this bug was completely wrong. What happens > in my recipe is that the pointer dpyinfo->w32_id_name is freed twice. > (This is done in x_delete_display each time the only existing client > frame is deleted.) An attempt to create a client frame for the third > time then leads to a crash because of malloc corruption. Thanks for finding that. I wonder whether this double-free also has something to do with random crashes people have been seeing in 64-bit Cygwin cygw32 Emacs builds.