On 04/07/2014 09:21 PM, arthur miller wrote: > Just a simple question: why is there no spellchecker by default included > in Emacs? Integration with external spell checkers has worked for many years. > Hunspell seems to be most widely used at the moment, it is GPL-d and > avaialable as a dll and or static lib to link with. Is there some > special reason why it is not > included in Emacs as a default fallback so that users don't have to > spend hours in configuring diverse options? ispell has always worked out of the box for me. Can you describe the configuration you had to perform? Maybe Emacs can automate it. > If it is desired to use some > other "ispellesque" > spell editor, Emacs could just unload hunspell, and re-bind its > ispell/flyspell functions to another dll, or exe. For me running > hunspell as a separate process from Emacs is > painfully slow compared to how some other applications work. Shouldn't > it be a bit faster if spellchecker was just a dll/so to load instead of > starting up another process from Emacs > and communicating through pipes? If IPC is fast enough for X11, it's fast enough for Emacs. I doubt piping is the problem here. I've heard a few reports of flyspell being slow lately, however. Maybe you can benchmark and see where the bottleneck is. I don't see any reason to link Emacs directly against a spell-checking library.