On Aug 7, 2012, at 10:51, Michael Albinus wrote: > Carsten Bormann writes: > >> This appears to get circumvented correctly once, but the .emacs.d/tramp >> written out from the first emacs says: >> >> ("file-exists" "test -e") >> >> which is clearly wrong. >> So the next incarnation of emacs will no longer work correcly with that >> Solaris server. > > Hmm. In `tramp-find-file-exists-command', it is correctly tested for > "test -e", "/bin/test -e" aso. But the cache seems to get the wrong value. > > I would need to analyze the cache operations. Would you, please, apply > "M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" (this also removes cache settings), > set `tramp-verbose' to 9, and rerun the test? The resulting debug buffer > shall tell us more. Interesting. With tramp-cleanup-all-connections I didn't need the two-step process to trigger the bug. Again, the problem is that test -e suppresses the rest of the command line in /bin/sh on Solaris, so the first "test -e" fails right away, but is somehow recovered using another attempt that uses test -d. The attempt to find-file (open) .bash_history then completely fails on what seems to be the same kind of "test -e" (hmm, why didn't it do that in my previous tests before I wrote the tramp file). resulting tramp file as well as debug buffer (slightly sanitized) attached. Grüße, Carsten