all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Display current date/time
@ 2014-03-25  9:54 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-03-25  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs users list

Hello list,

is there an (interactive) function to display current date and/or time
in the echo area?  I'd like to be able to say M-x today and see today's
date, for instance, without having to fire up the calendar.

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Display current date/time
       [not found] <mailman.18141.1395741262.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-25 10:10 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-03-25 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> in gnu.emacs.help:
> is there an (interactive) function to display current date and/or time
> in the echo area? I'd like to be able to say M-x today and see today's
> date, for instance, without having to fire up the calendar.

You can find several solutions there:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/251908/how-can-i-insert-current-date-and-time-into-a-file-using-emacs
(to insert in the current buffer, but it is easy to adapt them for the
echo area).

--
DW

* Re: Display current date/time
@ 2014-03-25 10:15 ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2014-03-25 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski <mbork <at> wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> is there an (interactive) function to display current date and/or time
> in the echo area?  I'd like to be able to say M-x today and see today's
> date, for instance, without having to fire up the calendar.
>
> TIA,

I don't know of any existing function for that, but you can use a simple
definition like:

(defun today ()
(interactive)
(message (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d %T")))

Thibaut

* Re: Display current date/time
@ 2014-03-25 12:05 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-03-25 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> is there an (interactive) function to display current date and/or time
> in the echo area?  I'd like to be able to say M-x today and see today's
> date, for instance, without having to fire up the calendar.
>
> TIA,

You can also use (display-time-mode 1) in your init file to have it
always in the mode line.

* Re: Display current date/time
@ 2014-03-25 21:37 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-25 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> is there an (interactive) function to display current date and/or time
> in the echo area?  I'd like to be able to say M-x today and see today's
> date, for instance, without having to fire up the calendar.

M-! date RET

It's not M-x but close enough, I think,

* Re: Display current date/time
@ 2014-03-27  0:35 Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2014-03-27  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mbork, help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: tkk

I use yasnippet to see current date/time.
Snippets with key `today/now' insert date/time in current buffer.

# name: (today)
# key: today
# --
`(format-time-string "%B %e, %Y (%a)" (current-time))`

# name: (now)
# key: now
# --
`(format-time-string "%T %Z" (current-time))`