Hello Eli and Barry, sorry for my brain fart on this one. It was actually a rather late edit which, even though I tested it and deemed harmless but useful, slipped through my fingers. By the way: no-init-from-resources is a global variable set by Emacs during startup if (and only if) "-Q" is given, thus X resources should not be applied. In patch 3 I accounted for that but simply forgot to do the same in patch 1. Oh well. Attached are the updated patches which should all work just fine now. Thanks for the feedback and testing btw. Very much appreciated. So long, Matthias