all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug 17059 still present
@ 2014-10-20 22:35 covici
From: covici @ 2014-10-20 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.  I am still having the problem of bug 17059 cannot view extracted
text from pdf in at least 24.4-rc1.  I wonder if someone could take a
look at this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* bug#17059: bug 17059 still present
@ 2014-10-22  7:28 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-10-22  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17059

covici@ccs.covici.com writes:

> Hi.  I am still having the problem of bug 17059 cannot view extracted
> text from pdf in at least 24.4-rc1.  I wonder if someone could take a
> look at this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Initially, i was able to reproduce this, using -nw -Q with 24.4.1, on
Debian Wheezy x86_64 - in a console, and in an X terminal
(specifically, urxvt) as well.

i then instrumented the `doc-view-mode` function, stepping through it
line-by-line, and was still able to consistently reproduce the issue.

i then instrumented `doc-view-initiate-display` instead, and stepped
through it line-by-line .... and when it reached `(doc-view-open-text)`
and called it, the text was extracted and displayed in a buffer.

i'm now no longer able to reproduce the issue with -nw -Q.

What might cause this?

* bug#17059: bug 17059 still present
@ 2014-10-22 13:13   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: 17059

> i then instrumented `doc-view-initiate-display` instead, and stepped
> through it line-by-line .... and when it reached `(doc-view-open-text)`
> and called it, the text was extracted and displayed in a buffer.

The step-by-step gave the process time to finish before it gets killed.

> i'm now no longer able to reproduce the issue with -nw -Q.

The process is not needed any more because we reuse the output from
earlier Emacs sessions (stashed in /tmp somewhere).

* bug#17059: bug 17059 still present
@ 2014-10-23  7:27     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-10-23  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17059

Stefan Monnier writes:

>> i then instrumented `doc-view-initiate-display` instead, and stepped
>> through it line-by-line .... and when it reached `(doc-view-open-text)`
>> and called it, the text was extracted and displayed in a buffer.
>
> The step-by-step gave the process time to finish before it gets killed.
>
>> i'm now no longer able to reproduce the issue with -nw -Q.
>
> The process is not needed any more because we reuse the output from
> earlier Emacs sessions (stashed in /tmp somewhere).

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining!

So: calling `sit-for` in `doc-view-start-process` solves the problem for
me:

    (defun doc-view-start-process (name program args callback)
      ;; Make sure the process is started in an existing directory, (rather than
      ;; some file-name-handler-managed dir, for example).
      (let* ((default-directory (or (unhandled-file-name-directory
                                     default-directory)
                                  (expand-file-name "~/")))
             (proc (apply 'start-process name doc-view-conversion-buffer
                          program args)))
        (push proc doc-view--current-converter-processes)
        (setq mode-line-process (list (format ":%s" proc)))
        (set-process-sentinel proc 'doc-view-sentinel)
        (sit-for 1)
        (process-put proc 'buffer   (current-buffer))
        (process-put proc 'callback callback)))

Is this a reasonable solution?

Alexis.

* bug#17059: bug 17059 still present
@ 2014-10-23 13:18       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-23 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: 17059

> So: calling `sit-for` in `doc-view-start-process` solves the problem for
> me:
[...]
> Is this a reasonable solution?

No, that just changes the odds of the race-condition, but is only an
ugly workaround.  IIUC Tassilo installed an actual fix into trunk a few
days ago.

* bug#17059: bug 17059 still present
@ 2014-10-23 22:12         ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-10-23 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17059

Stefan Monnier writes:

>> So: calling `sit-for` in `doc-view-start-process` solves the problem for
>> me:
> [...]
>> Is this a reasonable solution?
>
> No, that just changes the odds of the race-condition, but is only an
> ugly workaround.

*nod*

> IIUC Tassilo installed an actual fix into trunk a few days ago.

Ah, okay.

Alexis.